Friend's Laptop Issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Geek Squad

Default Friend's Laptop Issues

Hey guys, my friend's laptop has had alot of trouble with it's hard drive, going out 2 times now and it was giving him issues for about 2 months now. The issue is that it suddenly will NOT turn on, I would assume this is a problem with the HDD, but it could also show that the motherboard is fried, is there anyway to tell without having to buy a new HDD which is a special HP HDD with a different ATA connection than normal HDDs.

Anyways, any of you guys got any suggestions/ideas to check before we order a new one?

Thanks guys.

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
Old 05-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon
Default Re: Friend's Laptop Issues

What model of laptop is it? When it Doesn't turn on, is it on battery power, or AC power? I am guess this is a SATA hard drive?

How old is the laptop? Has he contacted HP support to RMA the Hard drive, or just go out and buy a new one?

XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 05-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Geek Squad

It is a two year old laptop, well out of warranty, and the HDD failed about two times prior, it is a special sata connection laptop, I think 2/3/4/5 anyways, it will not power on via battery or plugged in.

Any thoughts?

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

Old 05-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hello,

Still, what laptop model is it?

And has your friend tried resetting the BIOS by removing the coin / button cell lithium battery?

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 05-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Geek Squad

I will get the actual laptop model later today, hes sleeping over at his Girlfriend's house right now, *******. Anyways, I never thought about resetting the BIOS, I will try it on it when he gets back. He is computer illiterate and knows nothing about computers beyond how to type so he would have no idea what the BIOS is. I feel stupid for not thinking about it myself.

I will get back to you guys.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

Old 05-07-2007, 05:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshSB View Post
. He is computer illiterate and knows nothing about computers beyond how to type
lol..
Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Geek Squad

HP DV1217US is the model number for his laptop.

Thanks guys.

P.S. here is the issue guys.

I tried to turn it on without the HDD or the battery inside of it and it still will not turn on. I assume that if the HDD was the issue the **** thing would at least boot to the BIOS without it right?

Anyways, where would I find the CMOS battery on it, cannot seem to find it.

Thanks guys.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

Closed Thread