Fried port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vman456

Solid State Member
Hey guys. A month or so ago there was a thunderstorm and it destroyed 3 phones in my house and my modem box. After a week it was replaced and I've had this problem ever since.

Basically, whenever I'm downloading something off the internet it starts out going alright at about 100 kbs for like 2 seconds then it drops to like 50, then to 20, then to 10, and eventually to like around 5, and sometimes it just stops and doesn't activate again.

Now first I thought the router ports could have been a problem. One of them doesn't work, the other is extremely slow, and the last 2 are the only ones that semi work (one better than the other). So I thought maybe it was that, so I tried to plug directly into the modem, but it still goes very slow.

I have to get my hands on a new cable to see if that may be the problem, but I think it was replaced after the storm, i'm not positive so I'll try it out.

Every other computer in the house works fine with the internet, so could it be that it's the modem box that makes it slow only when directly connected to a computer?

Or could it be the computer port? Is there any way to fix this? How much would it cost?

I'm really desperate for help here :(
Thanks very much in advance, all help is appreciated.

When you say that it slows down when downloading from the internet, do you mean that it does that for ANY file, or just on filesharing programs like kazaa or limewire? Also, is your lan port built in, or is it a card?

Basically any file, even on games for example. My ping is maintained for a while then it goes extremely high. And say when i'm downloading maps on WC3, it goes up little by little and still pretty slow.

I don't know about my lan port, how do I find out?

As I said above, I'm not quite sure, how do I find out?
And if you could tell me why this is relevant it would be helpful.
Thanks much guys.

where is the port
In the yellow or pink area? if its yellow, you have an integrated lan port, if pink you have a lan card CLICK TO ENLARGE PIC :O

It sounds like a combination of 3 things, your router is fried, your cat5 cable is fried, or you card is fried.

If its yellow try reinstalling the drivers , or buying a new lan card.

Ps. My comp is hawt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom