Frequent Stop Errors, been told it is hardware related

Status
Not open for further replies.

addle_brains

Baseband Member
Been getting frequent Stop: 0x0000008E errors. Very frustrating. So far I have tried testing the RAM, so either both sticks are screwed or it's something else. I recently installed a new sound card, but it'd been running fine for a few weeks before this started. I've disabled it just to see what happens. I've updated other drivers like video card and even LAN. Here's a minidump file, just in case anyone knows what to do with it.

Attachments

• mini081406-01.zip
    40.4 KB · Views: 6
it sounds like its hardware related but that error isn't exclusive to hardwre problems so don't rule anything out. I've seen viruses cause that stop error.

Does the error happen when you do anything in particular? or is it totally random? can you reproduce the error by doing any particular set of actions?

It's completely random, and it seems to be happening more frequently, but I can't really tell. It recently happened again, even though my SB Audigy was uninstalled, so I don't think it's that. My fans are running as loud as a vacuum cleaner though, and this program I got says my CPU is at 35 degrees celsius. May be faulty power or heatsink. Do you know what virus it might be?

Are you running Mcafee antivirus?

looks like one of the drivers is spooning. Try uninstaling mcafee.

Post some more dump files if you can, also might be worth your while running a program called memtest86.

Yeah, I'm running Mcaffee... I'll uninstall it and see what happens.

How hot would you consider an unstable CPU? We're talking an intel celeron 2.8GHz.

Sorry for the quadruple post, but I read something that Starforce can actually be causing the system crashes. I used verifier and found out that I have Starforce drivers installed on my computer.

35C is is prefectly fine, quite cool infact. I can't look at those minidumps untill I get home.
I'm almost certain we're looking at a driver issue here, in the first dump it was a mcafee driver that caused the crash but I think its unlikely to be mcafees fault. I expect to see other drivers causing crashes in the other dumps, I expect there is a rogue driver somewhere causing these problems.

I'm not sure starforce is the culprit, starforce drivers are active only at execution of the protected application, so that doesn't fit in with completely random crashes unless its a background application like antivirus. Speaking of which have you tried loading in safe mode? do you still get the crashes then?
you can uninstall them here or you might be able to update them? I think if you remove them any software you own thet uses starforce for protection will not launch.

I still recommend you run memtest86 to rule out a hardware fault with the ram. you can get it a majorgeeks.com

I've run memtest, and there's nothing wrong. I was at my wits end when suddenly I found this microsoft page that recomended turning off the video hardware acceleration. I did so, and it's been quite a while since the last crash..... they've been happening about once every half hour, but a couple of hours on and nothing. So I'm 99% sure it's the GPU. Hopefully it's just the drivers because I'm downloading the latest ones now. I read that it could be the RAM in the GPU, but i hope not.

Thanks so much for your help, I'll keep you posted whether or not I get it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom