Frequent Irreversible Crashes / Freezes on PC

Baker

Solid State Member
Hello all!

I have been having frequent crashes of some sort on my 5-year-old ASUS laptop. This crashing occurs about once a day, seemingly at random, as I have not noticed any specific factors (or processes/programs) that may be the cause of it. I'm strict on what I put on my computer, so I keep the trash on my computer to a minimum. I don't think that is the issue.

There is no blue screen, or any error message. The screen just freezes as is, in it's last frame, whether it's on YouTube, on a Steam game, or on iTunes. If any sound is playing as it crashes, the sound will also freeze, and will skip like a broken record. This cannot be resolved by any keyboard shortcuts (to my knowledge, as I believe this crash involves all components), and my only recourse is to do a force shutdown, and restart it.

As a side note, I have also ran memtest86, and Windows Memory Diagnostic with no results. Could this be my CPU?

If anybody could give me any suggestions as to how I can test this problem, such as any programs, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for taking the time to review my issue!

-Adam

Go into your bios and check under hardware monitor.
If your cpu tempature is above 50 degrees and climbing it is indeed a heat issue.
I recommend you take it to a local computer shop or geeksquad and let them change the thermal grease if you are unable to.

I used HWMonitor to check my temperatures. The screenshot below is of the results. Motherboard 50-51C; core temperatures fluctuated between 50-57C; GeForce card 49-50C.

Also, I have dusted my CPU fan in the past month, so it is not clogged. I will look into new thermal grease, but can I do the same with the other hot components?

Also, is there any other option besides the paste?

HWMonitorStats_zpsc5cec283.png

I used HWMonitor to check my temperatures. The screenshot below is of the results. Motherboard 50-51C; core temperatures fluctuated between 50-57C; GeForce card 49-50C.

Also, I have dusted my CPU fan in the past month, so it is not clogged. I will look into new thermal grease, but can I do the same with the other hot components?

Also, is there any other option besides the paste?

Well all I can recommend is get a good notebook cooler to keep your mobile vga temps down abit.
keep the vents cleaned and hope it doesn't heat up and lock up again.

Lastly look into updating your vga drivers, pick the right driver that corresponds with your os and download.
Drivers | GeForce

Back
Top Bottom