From Freezing to USB Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 GB RAM

CPU- Intel Pentium E6300 @ 2.8 GHz

GPU- Onboard the GeForce 7050/nForce 610i (I believe the GPU part would be the GeForce 7050)

If you need some kind of "dump" or report or whatever you call it, let me know how to get it and I'll post that right away as well. I really appreciate your help with this. Most comp-tech-smart people are pompous and look down on hardware dummies like myself.

7050 is the GPU, 610i is the chipset. That 7050 is very low-class. And the fact that it is onboard, it might be sharing some of your 2gb of RAM.

That may be the reason why it freezes. It's not overheating, It's just using up all you resources, and can't pass data, so it freezes.

Buying a new video card would remedy this, right? Until then, is there a way to maybe take some of the load off to stop the freezing or no? I will be buying more computer stuff in March, so I would like to know what are the most important things I need at this point. I already know that my power supply is low quality and now I find out my GPU and possibly front panel USB's are crap as well.

After looking through my Task Manager, I noticed these numbers:

12 processes running under the User Service (my user name)... yes, I realize these numbers vary on what I am doing
19 processes running under the System
2 processes running under the Network Service
2 processes running under the Local Service

For some reason, the number of processes running under the System seems quite "excessive", I guess you could say. Shouldn't it be a slightly smaller number?

Anyway, from what I gather, a new video card might fix my freezing problem, correct? And, do the proccesses numbers seem to large to you?

Yes, a proper video card will help, It has its own RAM.

go to Run.. Type in "msconfig" without ", go to startup tab. Take off all the stuff you don't need, you can uncheck everything off and windows will work fine. If you have any AV/FW or spamware software, you want to keep em on. Either do it yourself, or show me a picture of the startup processes. might have to take multiple screen shots, as it doesn't stretch.

Here is the screenshot of my MSConfig Startup:

MSConfig.jpg

And of my Task Manager:

TaskManager.jpg

As you can see, there's not a whole lot on it, but something is hogging the resources enough to freeze the computer during games and videos. I mean, my old computer never froze while playing games or watching videos and it only had 896 MB of RAM and a crappy CPU in it.

Well, that was back in the days. For futue reference, use this website that tells what 90% of your processes do: Task Manager Process List

I had to search for it again, but I have used it in the past.

Turn off Reader_sl

That's the only process thats really not needed.

I mean, look at mine..

taskman.jpg

In Task Manager, what does the performance tab show? That doesn't look too bad..

The next time your PC freezes note the time. Restart the pc, then go to Control Panel > Administrative tools > Event Viewer. Browse through the system and application logs and check if there is reported at the same time that your pc crashed.

To MindoverMaster: The performance tab shows my CPU usage mostly at 0%-2% and the PF Usage is currently at 321 MB.

To SOULphIRE: Yeah, I've done that already. It doesn't show any errors at all. That's why I suspect it is a hardware error, not software.

Yeah, I'll try that. Currently when playing my game, all the effects are on (water effects, glows, etc.). I will turn some of them off or tone the effects down a bit and see what happens. As of yesterday though, the two freezes I got were during a video on a website and watching a video from my hard drive. Who knows? I plan on getting a better video card though, so that should help. I appreciate you help with my incessant questions though. You were extremely patient with me and I appreciate that. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom