From Freezing to USB Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

VashCrowley

Solid State Member
So here is the deal: I had a problem I posted on here about my computer freezing during games and videos/video feeds after upgrading 99% of my hardware. After not getting many responses about it, I decided to just format everything and start from scratch. I un-raided my hard drives, did a fresh install of XP, and started at square one, basically. Since then, I've had one freeze and unfortunately, now, my front panel USB ports do not work now. They are supposedly installed according to my Device Manager and there are no error icons anywhere in there either. All drivers are updated and they are activated in the BIOS as well. Why is this?

BIOS: Phoenix Systems
Motherboard: Nvidia GeForce7050/nForce 610i

Yes, they are connected correctly. They worked before the wipe and reinstall of everything. They show up in the device manager as working and installed, but nothing responds when plugged into them. Only the rear USB ports work though. Also, since the original post I have had another freeze, so I'm beginning to think that the freezing problem while gaming or watching any kind of video or stream is hardware related, correct? Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

No problem, Vash.

Can you shut down your computer, take out the USB wires from the motherboard, start up your computer, make sure windows fully loads, then shut down again, and re-apply the wires, try a USB device in there.

This will confirm if the USB wires are/aren't bad.

Yeah, I can do that momentarily... but a question. The rear ports are onboard ports (on motherboard obviously) and the front ones aren't. Since the rear ones work and the front ones don't how would disconnecting the wires to the front ports establish their operating status? If they don't even power something on (my Wacom, for instance) when they are plugged in, how am I going to be able to tell if the wires are faulty? Not questioning you, just wondering.

No problem. If you take the front ports out and reconnect it after BIOS/Windows knows that you took it out, it might reconfigure the drivers for it.

Okay, after doing that, there was no change in the USB ports... in other words, rear ones still work, front still don't. Next? LOL.

Well, that sucks, considering that I just had this thing rebuilt. So, one last thing to ask you... do you know why my computer would randomly freeze while playing a game or watching a video file or stream? I've got the RAM to run them and the onboard video card isn't too bad. I've only had two freezes since I formatted this thing, but it's two too many, you know? It shouldn't freeze at all. It's not overheating, as I've tested that. I've done virus and spyware/malware scans. Any idea?

How powerful is your CPU and GPU? give me the version of both.

Have you done memtest also? you might be running alot of ram intensive programs in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom