Freezing Issue

NevoraskiA

In Runtime
So I ran into an issue on a computer that I was helping somebody with. When they are in any web browser (doesn't matter which one)... normally with videos or lots of pictures or advertisements but not sure if it matters or not... it will just randomly freeze up. Some of the times when it freezes it will black screen. Mouse is still movable... and when it doesn't black screen you're able to close out of the open browser windows without issue, but can't close out the process for the final instance of the browser... and can't reopen the browser... also the computer refuses to shutdown/restart also at this point and has to be hard shut down.

They are on Windows 10 64 bit FYI

I found this video on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apNUuC4tKHc

We tried turning the link state power management off... and it solved the issue, but every time the computer is restarted or turned off and on... the setting reverts back from it's off state to being on again.

Wanted some input on if you guys believe this guy is correct in assuming it's a video card issue... the user of the computer wants the issue resolved and we are currently looking at buying a new video card and power supply unit in order to power the new card... but we are worried about spending the money without knowing for sure that that's the issue.

Any feedback on that appreciated!

OK... nevermind... update... they say that link state power management didn't fix it... it seemed like it did at first... it improved the issue, but they say it's still occurring even with it off.

Last edited:
How much RAM does the system have?

What if you install an ad blocker such as uBlock Origin in Chrome / FF?

Did you update video drivers from the GPU manufacturer's website?

Support for Studio XPS 8100 | Dell US

that's the computer... if you need specs

Supposedly she has updated the video card driver already (I'm having her double check)... also making sure the bios is updated.

She just got a bsod saying Page Fault in Non Paged Area with code vnlddmkm.sys right after powering on the computer this morning.

I'm still thinking video card issue.

Ok did some research... definitely seems to be pointed towards bad video card or bad video card driver

Last edited:
Ran benchmark program on gpu... gpu was overheating... and based on everything we read online everything was pointing to gpu. We bit the bullet and bought an upgraded better video card and also updated the power supply to handle the new video card.

We are still running into the freezing browser issue. My only thoughts at this point are it's possibly a windows issue and a system restore might be inevitable... any other thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom