Freezing, BSODing, and other wierd stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMW

Baseband Member
I just put windows 7 on a computer that I've been working on for the past month because of various problems. Of course it doesn't go as planned. During the second boot to windows the screen froze while on the Internet. I have tried booting it up again several times but something always went wrong. Here's a list of the things I've seen so far

Doesn't find hard drive and tries to boot from disk
BSODs while loading windows
Freezes on login screen, on safe mode too
loads windows repair endlessly
goes to a black screen

I am at a loss... Some sort of hard drive thing? Any help would be apreciated

here are the specs
Athalon x2
gigabyte mobo
wd 640gb caviar green

thanks

Bump

if you guys don't know what the problem is, do you think I should call windows 7 support? but it seems kind of hardware related.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Is it running hot? Have you checked your voltages? Is everything plugged in properly? Or did you have any small problems during the assembly? Are all your drivers up to date? Have you looked to see if there are any bios updates available for your motherboard?

Can you post a screenshot of Hardware Monitor running under load?
http://www.cpuid.com/download/hwmonitor/HWMonitor_115_setup.exe

You may need to re-format the hard drive and re-install Windows. Something might have glitched. But HWMonitor will let us see if you have a possible issue elsewhere. You should also run Memtest to check for a possible memory problem.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

And it never hurts to check out this guide to help with double checking yourself.
The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!

Unfortunately I can't run any programs on it since I can't get it to fully boot. My only problems on building it were power supply related and me forgetting to plug in the front panel stuff :). The motherboard has a weird bios, It doesn't POST the way Im used to and I can't find any options for getting into setup. I'll see if I can get an infrared thermometer to check the temps.

I double checked everything but I wonder if I might have a faulty HD cable or socket because the computer doesn't usually recognize the HD. I tried another HD port but it didn't help. The hard drive seems to be running normally as far as I can tell from listening to it.

Thanks

Well, I can't flash the bios because the computer won't fully boot. And none of the hardware drivers were installed prior to this happening since It started on the second boot.

Yes you can flash your BIOS. All manufacturers release some sort of DOS based flash which you could use with teh Windows 7 DVD. Since you can get to the Command Prompt with that. So you could still flash your BIOS to the latest version. Could also use a boot disk as well. Just cause you cant boot to Windows doesnt mean your stuck with nothing.

I dont know were you get that the 2nd screen was on the internet. The Win7 setup doesnt connect to the internet for more than 10 seconds to make sure there is no updates, even then it tells you that it is connecting to check for updates. There are going to be updates, but it wont install them at the time. It is just making sure there is no updated setup files. Which there wont be.

From your list:

Doesnt find hard drive - Driver issue. You dont have the proper drivers for your devices
BSODs while loading windows - Which BSoD? Cant help if you dont give information.
Freezes on login screen, on safe mode too - Bad Drivers
loads windows repair endlessly - It hasnt installed properly in the first place so of course it want to repair what is broken
goes to a black screen - Same as above. never loaded properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom