Fraps slowing down my game?! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Exclamation Fraps slowing down my game?!

Hey guys,
I recently got Fraps and I tried it out while playing BFBC2 and i noticed that it dropped my FPS by a lot, and the game is not playable. I have Fraps running on mt external Hard drive but, still it slows down. So is there anyway I can fix this, maybe I can get a Internal HDD and run it there. I'm not sure how fast is the write speed or how ever its called, so I'm guessing that the write speed of of the external is too slow. So if anything, please help me out, I would appreciate it.

My external:

It's the same one but instead its 500GB

Old 02-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Fraps slowing down my game?!

Are you trying to capture video? A fast speedy harddrive will help but you also need a pretty hefty system to handle the extra workload of encoding what your seeing on screen and turning it into a movie file.

While you maybe able to play a game at 1900 x 1200 with High Setting, you may have to lower the resolution and settings to play the game and video capture it.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Fraps slowing down my game?!

Go to the Movies section of FRAPS, set to half-size and check 60 fps, that works for me.
Half-size will record the entire screen but in a smaller format.

If that doesn't work try using something like Game Booster Game Booster 2.0 Free Download, Speed Up PC for Top Gaming Performance
It might help to get your FPS back up.

Closed Thread