found new hardware wizard fails for anything connected to USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakeboarder.cwb

Baseband Member
Hey, i know im new here but i am having some very serious problems with any usb devices that i hook up to my motherboard. it is a brand new copy of windows after my last hard drive crashed. I try to connect my ipod after installing up to date itunes and ipod updater but found new hardware wizard pops up asking if i want to install, i click next next and then it says there was a problem while installing your device.

then with a brand new hp all in one printer, the software installs fine and then when i connect the printer the "FNHW" (FOUND NEW HARDWARE WIZARD" pops up and says there was a problem while installing your new hard ware, a inf file couldn't be extracted or something like that.

same thing with a different printer. i can't use anything via usb right now.

my specs
asus p4p800 deluxe
ati 9600 video card
1 gb patriot pc3200 ram
creative sound blaster 2zs platinum
intel 2.8 ghz
maxtor 160 gb

Do you have the right drivers for your devices?
When you get the error message of the inf file couldnt be
extracted that is probably the problem. If the device brought a install CD make sure this is inserted before clicking next on the New Hardware Wizard. If you downloaded the drivers or something make sure you are giving the correct path to the inf file.

i've tried that tons of times, even pointing it to the exact cd drive that the disc is in. its not a problem with the device or disk, it has to be something wrong with the drivers for the usb or the usb.inf file in the windows folder. but im not sure how to address those possible fixes

i have xp pro sp2 btw, i'll give those drivers a shot tomorrow, i got finals tomorrow so we'll see.

thanks for the help so far guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom