Formatting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadCo

Beta member
Hi, I recently tried to fix my sister's laptop when the registry seemed to be damaged or something, but I couldn't do anything with it and she just gave it to HP to look at it (it's an HP laptop) and they said there was nothing they could do and they just reinstalled windows (it seems).

So when they got it back from HP my sister gave it back to me to update and install the all programs they lost and such (she's quite afraid of computers). Before I did all that I tried to re-connect the laptop to the wireless network, but I had no idea what I was doing and messed around with some settings in windows without any result. So I decided to start from scratch by reinstalling windows and just updating and installing with a wired connection. But when I tried to format the hard drive, it kept stalling at 79%. I did that using the Windows XP CD, so then I tried formatting using fdisk but got the same result.

So is there something wrong with the hard drive? If so, how was HP able to reinstall windows? What else could cause it to stall?

It's an HP Pavilion zd8000, but I don't know anything about its specs. Is there still something I could do?

could be your hardrive, scan it with with some harddrive recovery software or replace it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom