Formatting partition outside of Windows ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Laymon

Baseband Member
Is there a way to format a partition outside of Windows. I have tried to do it within Windows but nothing happens, it just says "Formatting" forever :(

I'm trying to format a partition that got corrupted a long time ago. I has been unused since being corrupted and I am now trying to resurrect the partition because I'm running out of space. It is only a temporary fix until I can buy a new drive. The partition has nothing on it but Windows can't use it as it is and can't format it either, at least not within the Windows GUI

Richard Laymon said:
I mean can I format the partition outside of the Windows GUI, as in when the system is just booting up ?

I now have a headache......dual partitions on the same drive? Let me try this:

My Computer>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management: If you see an unallocated partition, right click on the unallocated partition in the view panel and then choose to format the partition NTFS from the drop dwon box after you right click in the pane. Il Capice?

i think your saying you have one hdd with multiple partitions on it. you want to reformat a corrupted partition on the same hdd you are running windows. if i'm correct.

Go into bios and make sure your boot order has your cd rom listed as primary. Then put in your windows disc and reboot. when prompted hit any key to boot from cdrom, do so.

Then follow directions to you get to part where you reformat partition. select the one you want ( not the one with the os on it)
then reformat esc without installing os.

Partition magic might work to.

Nope done that, the Disk Manager says "Formatting" but no % sign or number come up after it, basically it stays at 0% forever. That's why I want to try it outside the Windows GUI to see if it will work without Windows hanging.

Your almost correct, it is a multiple partitioned drive but Windows isn't on the drive. I has four partitions with this one partition corrupt. Any attempt at formatting within the Windows GUI hangs Windows.
I will however try what you suggest, it sounds logical (no pun intended)

RicoDirenzo said:
I now have a headache......dual partitions on the same drive? Let me try this:

My Computer>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management: If you see an unallocated partition, right click on the unallocated partition in the view panel and then choose to format the partition NTFS from the drop dwon box after you right click in the pane. Il Capice?

DID YOU TRY THIS OR NOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom