Is formatting a HD bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasha

Baseband Member
Hey guys. Is formatting a hard drive bad - in general? Say, I just wanna wipe my drive and start clean like every six months, or so. Does formatting cause any type of damage (or even data loss) to the drive?

Well.... formatting a drive erases everthing on it, so if you want to format your drive, then you should back up all your essential data.

Well, formatting itself does, of course, get rid of everything on your hard drive. Personally, I like to reformat my Windows partition about every 4-6 months. I find after a reformat, it speeds Windows back up again.

Some alternatives include Registry Cleaners.

I definitely understand the fact that formatting erases everything, but does it damage the disc inside the drive that stores the date? You know? Continuously erasing and writing date.

not unless you were to format repeatedly to a point where it would just be crazy. a reformat 1-2 times a year and a hdd that is used for average purposes will probably last 5-10 years at least. if it takes a beating though through constant use significantly less. the needle in a hdd is more likely to fail than the disc itself, in a format it just goes through a smoothe sweeping motion whereas in normal use it flicks back and forth quite rapidly.

I've had this computer since July of 2002, and formatted only once. Everything is running fine, but Windows is becoming a bit screwy. So, formatting will be fine, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom