format HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

harley88

Baseband Member
Hello

I have been trying to install xp for a couple of days now and have really messed it up even put part of the windows folder on my D: drive (I have two HDD!s , o/s is on C: drive. Anyway I have been reading diff. things on formating a hdd.

Do i go to disk mangement right click then click format and when its finshed it will be good to go , or are there other stuff i have to do?
thanks
harley

I'm not sure I understand right!
You have a OS on the C: and you want to install an OS. If the OS is on the C: then what are you wanting to do? Is this an upgrade for another OS like 98 or ME?

sPlATOID

This dumb old man is going to try and explain as best as he can.

My O/S is on C:\ and i have two HDD!s the other one is D:\.

OK , My computer had a XP Home sp1 version and i put sp2 in it , well i am going to loose my internet asscess soon and decided to get my computer running as good as i could so i went and purchased a new XP Home sp2 version. Well i botched up , thinking a dumb old man could install a o/s , i spent all day and all night trying to get the new xp home sp2 installed , i tried every option there was and never got it installed to where it would boot up , it kept hanging after copying files to the windows folder and restart.
Well anyway i went and installed my OEM version back in.

During my attempt to install the xp home sp2 version i got some of the system folders in my D:\ , i think it happened when i had tried everthing else and tried to install my xp home sp2 on my D:\. Now i want to wipe my D:/ (O/S is on C:/) clean.
thanks
harley

So you want a fresh copy of windows installed?

Easy, put the CD in, then restart, it should boot from the CD (may ask you to press a key).

If you restart and it doesn't boot from the windows CD, restart again, and go into your BIOS options [usually accessed by pressing DEL or and F key at the BIOS screen (the black text when you turn on your pc)]. Go into options or advanced options, find "boot priority device" and switch it from HDD to your CDROM.

From there on, it's pretty simple. Make sure to delete the old partitions you don't want.

So you want a fresh copy of windows installed?

Easy, put the CD in, then restart, it should boot from the CD (may ask you to press a key).

If you restart and it doesn't boot from the windows CD, restart again, and go into your BIOS options [usually accessed by pressing DEL or and F key at the BIOS screen (the black text when you turn on your pc)]. Go into options or advanced options, find "boot priority device" and switch it from HDD to your CDROM.

From there on, it's pretty simple. Make sure to delete the old partitions you don't want.

I cant imagine thats all he needs to know.. but I just wanted to ask because im going thru similar probz. Would it help at all to format D:\ if the OS is on C:\ ?

If you want to format/install windows on your slave drive, remove the master, set the slave as master, put in the XP CD, reboot, format the drive using your XP disk and you should be good to go. This will reduce the possibility of user error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom