Format 1TB WD Passport to Fat32?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digimortal

Baseband Member
I wasn't sure what section to put this in, but this seemed right.

I have a new Western Digital Passport external hard drive and I need to format it to Fat32 so my PS3 will recognize it and read the files straight from the drive instead of having to transfer the files one by one to a flash drive so I can watch them from there. I am on summer break right now and am going back to my campus in 2 weeks and I can't bring my computer so I need to be able to watch my movies and tv shows from my hard drive.

I am using Windows-7 64-bit Ultimate. I tried using Western Digital's formatter but it wouldn't install. I couldn't get Swissknife to work either. I'm sure there is something extremely easy right under my nose but I am extremely tired and have been up since 3:30 AM so I thought I would try asking around since I can't think straight right now....

I'm not sure.... I've been reading around and it seems like some people think you can but either they don't give any sources as to how, or they only say to just use windows quick format (which only formats to NTFS). I really hope there is a way to do it, otherwise I'll just have to get a bigger flash drive.

use fat32format utility to format it. The maximum disk size is approximately 8 terabytes when you take into account the following variables: The maximum possible number of clusters on a FAT32 volume is 268,435,445, and there is a maximum of 32 KB per cluster, along with the space required for the file allocation table (FAT).

GParted can do it as well (very fast, and GParted is always good for formatting).

@paton: yes you can. I've had to do it for a couple of my friends.

Thank you very much. I just got GParted and will burn the .iso and try it out a bit later, will edit to let you know how it went and give thanks again. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight but I'm about to pass out while typing :sleep:.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom