Floppy drives not working....at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordred

In Runtime
So, in preparation for my new system I went to throw the newest mobo BIOS on a floppy disc. Then I realized that my brother's computer (being a Dell) is absolute crap and won't format a floppy disc. No problem, I decided to take his drive and hook it up to my current PC. So I hooked it up to my current PC no problem. Widows recognized it. I put the floppy disc in (so far so good.) Windows says that there is no floppy disc in the drive....so I tried another floppy disc. Same thing... I decided to call my friend and have him bring over one of his many floppy drives. He did, that floppy drive did the same thing. So, I suppose my question is "WTH!?!" Anyone have any suggestions?

question: when did you buy these floppy discs? If you are like me and assuming you can use some old floppies from a decade ago, they are probably dead...so just getting the basics out of the way :D

oh also, do you get an option to format...or can you choose it? if so, do so.

I haven't used floppies since...I got smart! come on ppl ;) jk
intel's mobo saves me from having to resort to cave man devices :p

Also are you sure the ribben cable is pluged in the right way? Also is the floppy enabled in BIOS?

I got the drive working...but the instructions on how to create the floppy disc are a little confusing to me (this is my first time ever doing it.) Can anyone give me a hand?

I downloaded the most recent BIOS file. I formatted the floppy disc to be an MS-DOS startup disc. I went to copy the 5 files to the disc and I got an error telling me the floppy disc was full. I'm a little confused. Does it make a difference that I am making the disc on this computer, when it will be used on my new computer? When I format the disc to be an MS-DOS startup disc, the disc has a bunch of files on it already... like ega.cpi, ega2.cpi, ega3.cpi, keyb.com, etc etc. I know the format was successful.

Instructions taken from Abit's website Universal abit USA - How to upgrade BIOS?

Any help will be appreciated.

Did you just extract the BIN files to the floppy after making the start up disk.
It doesn't make a difference on what system you make the disk on. Those are the start up files. I just mad a disk with the Bios files your trying to use and it fit. After you make the start up disk right click on the bios file and select extract to A: it will put the files on the A:

I just had another thought. I know scary,,,
You should also get another disk and find a program for backing up your existing Bios before you try the Flash. Just to be safe.

Extracting directly to the floppy disc didn't work either...let me post some pics to show what's up.

Formatting the disc....
formatting.jpg

After Format....
afterformat.jpg

Trying to put the BIOS files on the disc....
failure.jpg

It will put almost all 5 files on the floppy disc, and then it becomes full.... Any ideas?

These are the files that I am supposed to be extracting onto the floppy...
biosfiles.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom