Flashing Blue Screens

Jokeman248

Beta member
Alright so I've seen a similar issue all over the web where the person can log in but while they're trying to do things the screen flashes blue. That is NOT my problem. I can't log in, I can't get into safe mode, the boot screen doesn't appear, the computer is basically a paperweight. All it does when I turn it on is flash between blue and black screens with the *loading* cursor visible. It's doing it on all three of my monitors so I know the monitor isn't the issue.

I built the computer over a year ago and haven't had many problems with it until now.

It seemed like a hardware issue so my first instinct was that there was something wrong with the hard drive, so I tried plugging it into another computer as a secondary drive. I was able to access all my files with no issues, so does that prove the hard drive isn't busted? Or would I still be able to access the files even if it were busted?

If it's not the hard drive, what else could be the issue? Do you think it's a hardware issue at all? Could some kind of virus have done this?

Here's my PC specs:
3770k Intel i7 processor
GTX 660 Nvidia graphics card
700W power supply
16gb (2x 8gb) RAM
1TB hard drive
Gigabyte motherboard

Thank you for any help!

Welcome to the forum, I'd try running without the 660 and just on the igp.
I'd Also try booting up on a Ubuntu usb livecd. That'd help determine hardware or OS pretty quick.
Maybe even try just 1 stick of RAM. Basically boot bare minimum.

Alright, something weird happened.
Basically, first I tried connecting my mom's hard drive to the computer, and then the computer seemed to turn on and work correctly, except it had to run start-up repair. I did that, but then it said it couldn't fix the problems.
I then tried reconnecting my old hard drive and.. it worked. No start-up repair no blue screen it turned on like normal.
Basically now my question is: should I take any further action? It seems to be working fine now, but I worry that the problem could surface again.
My current hypothesis is that I may have reconnected the power source to the hard drive with a different chord without realizing it and it's the cord that is broken. Is that possible?
Thanks again for any help.

PS, I had to run start up repair when i tested connecting my original hard drive to my mom's computer, and in that case the start-up repair worked and I could get on my mom's computer to access the hard drive's files. Is it possible that start up repair somehow fixed whatever might have been wrong with my hard drive?

Back
Top Bottom