Flashing the BIOS ... can this corrupt the RAM? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2007, 04:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD
Default Re: Flashing the BIOS ... can this corrupt the RAM?

Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
The BIOS has nothing to do with it. He said tt was running fine for a while.
If the BIOS was at fault, he would have noticed it very quickly.

I still say it's a software problem.
But how could it be a software problem if he got errors in Memtest?

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Flashing the BIOS ... can this corrupt the RAM?

Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
Last night I downloaded the latest BIOS update from Asus for my M2N-Plus SLI Vista Edition motherboard. I flashed it from within Windows using Asus Update program, then the PC restarted and all was well.

I had the PC downloading the past few weeks of WWE on Azureus throughout the night. I woke up, hopped on the PC, and started IMing a few people, while checking email etc. Soon after, a nice blue-screen came up, and the computer shut off. I figured it was one of those one-time flukes, but then Vista booted up...tried logging in, and another blue-screen, with the header of "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT".

I then reflashed the BIOS backup, but the errors remained... so I again flashed the latest BIOS.

So I downloaded Memtest86 1.7, ran it, and boom! Hundreds...thousands...of errors. My memory setup is this:
2x 512 MB Dual-Channel
2x 1 GB Dual-Channel

Equal models, same timing etc. The same I had been using for the past five months without issue.

I took out the 2 x 1 GB sticks, and there were no errors. I then placed just the 2 x 1 GB sticks in, and boom! Solid errors. I tried using the alternate memory slots (one pair in dual channel can be used in either set, according to the motherboard manual)... and the same thing... tons of errors with the 2 x 1 GB, and errorless with the 2 x 512 MB.

Now the question is... is this a coincidence? ...or could flashing the BIOS somehow lead to some RAM being corrupted?

Thoughts or ideas?
Same thing is happening with me.. I also was Flashing Bios to update from that Software.. but Bios is still not updated.. I am quite sure, I am doing that right way.. anyway I have upgraded ram too.. may be bcaz of that, total 5-7 Blue Screen in 2 days.. , thinking what to do .. and ASUSupdate didn't work for me !! by the way my MOBO is in supported List..

Closed Thread