Flashed BIOS hard drive failures - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Flashed BIOS hard drive failures

Ok so recently I decided to buy an AMD X2 4200+ to upgrade my AMD 3200 (939 chipset). I flashed my bios (ASUS a8v Deluxe motherboard) from rev 1010 to 1018 so that I would get dual core support from my motherboard. At first I thought everything worked ok but then I noticed that my secondary hard drive (seagate 750gb ATA) wasn't being read correctly. It wasn't being read correctly and its properties was that it was in RAW file format and couldn't be explored unless I formated it. In the bios setup it kept reading it as limited to 31.5 gb. I thought maybe it was an issue of the bios or something so I didn't think too much of it (wasn't a jumper issue). Because I needed to work on stuff I left it for later.

But then I got an error on my main hard drive (samsung 400gb ATA) and wouldn't let me load up the os. Gave me the "reboot and select proper boot device" error. I then took out the samsung hard drive and put it in an hd enclosure and tried connecting to my laptop. The laptop read it similar to the 750gb one and it was in RAW file format and couldn't read the hard drive properly.

I then decided to put back in the amd 3200 and tried installing a WD 120gb hd i had and putting a fresh xp install on it. Eventually that hard drive starting giving me a "Pri Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace" error. I then tried putting in the samsung back in and it gave me that same SMART error and in the bios it now reads the samsung as having a size of 0mb.

What's the problem? Is my motherboard failing? Is that hard drive dead? Is there no hope for the 750gb one?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing
Send a message via MSN to Nick
Default Re: Flashed BIOS hard drive failures

download gparted and see if tht reads the drives as their full size

Old 09-25-2007, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I would look at the bios. If all this happened after a bios flash I would suspect BIOS. Have you tried to set your bios to default. It may help Also make sure you write your settingsdown before you set it to default and try to disable smart disk setting in bios at least temporary till you get it sorted out.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well I can't get into windows xp. I put the samsung hd in and set it to master jumper settings and it actually starts loading windows and then just restarts right when I get in the load screen. I tried to load it in safe mode and even last known good configuration and it restarts at the same place.

Also now I put the samsung hd in the enclosure and it gives me "E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I did load the bios defaults and still doesnt work.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

I know how that is. My Seagate 250GB just did this to me. I'm not sure if it was drive failure or what but I sent it back to Seagate, and am waiting for a new one.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Closed Thread