flash drive problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default flash drive problem

A friend of mine, Kitty has a flash drive of 512MB, such a small size of capacity should be recognized even in win98.
She wanted some MP3 songs and so I took her Flash Drive home.

It's weird that when I plugged it to my notebook, the power light was on and I can read and write the data, but when I plugged it to my desktop (XP SP2), the power light never turns on.
I thought it may be the USB problem, so I changed to another USB port and tried, but it failed to work neither.
I had tested those USB ports in my Desktop with other USB hardware, and they all works.

So, come to the conclusion, I think the power assigned to the USB port of my Desktop should not be enough; but any of these USB ports had been tested with a USB HDD of 80GB, so the reason why the USB port can drive a USB HDD but fails to drive a 512MB Flash Drive is a mystery to me!

any idea?
It was Sailor Moon who said, \"you are not alone\".
Closed Thread