Fixing External Harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I took my Freeagent 500GB External Harddrive out of its enclosure and its down to a SATA Drive. I connected it to my PC and it still give me a "beep" every 5 seconds or so.

Seagate is charging me over $350 to recover this hard drive. I do have some important files in this hard drive that cannot be replaced by money but I am pretty techy so I'm up for the task of doing it myself. What exactly would seagate do if I paid them $350?

Were all humans so whatever Seagate can do, I might be able to do. What exactly is the procedure for data recovery on a failed hard drive/

If the hard drive has stopped running they will pull out the platters and get the information off of them that way. Unfortunately not something every human can do.

I connected it to my PC and it still give me a "beep" every 5 seconds or so.

wait, i didn't notice that you said still the first time i read your post. So it was giving you beeps inside the enclosure as well?

yes it gave me beeps during the enclosure. I thought it was the enclosure so I tooked it out and plugged it in my PC's SATA and it seems like its the hard drive's fault.

How do I read data off the platters? What equipment do I need?

^you probably can't by the equipment, and even if you could it would be much more then the money seagate wants....ALOT more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom