Fit to be TIED!

I will not have money to buy either until i get paid next month. but a $15.00 tool is a lot easier to find money for than a $40-55.00 psu.

Well now you can put that $15 towards a PSU :p.

But yeah, check the PSU with a multimeter.

well, i guess i am into this elbow deep now like it or not. it appears that my usb hub is scrap. my first clue was i tried to insert a flash drive to it, and nothing happened. which now that i think of it, i moved every time i removed and installed the computer into it;s "cubby. anyway, that is when i found none of the 3.0 ports worked. i shut down the computer, removed the usb cable from the back of the computer, and now i have 3.0 ports that function again. i did try another cable, and it still does not work. could the hub cause my intermittent start problem? /// so, i have my best multi meter sitting here, do i need to check every harness for power? or just the 20+4 connector?

well, i guess i am into this elbow deep now like it or not. it appears that my usb hub is scrap. my first clue was i tried to insert a flash drive to it, and nothing happened. which now that i think of it, i moved every time i removed and installed the computer into it;s "cubby. anyway, that is when i found none of the 3.0 ports worked. i shut down the computer, removed the usb cable from the back of the computer, and now i have 3.0 ports that function again. i did try another cable, and it still does not work. could the hub cause my intermittent start problem? /// so, i have my best multi meter sitting here, do i need to check every harness for power? or just the 20+4 connector?

You'd want to check at least one of each of the harnesses to make sure they're delivering the proper voltage.

well, that was interesting. all of the voltages were in spec. (3.3 pins read 3.385v, the 5.0 volt pins read 5.005v, and the 12v pins read 11.95v), ** except the -12vdc (blue wire). it read -10.56vdc when connected in the normal manner (black lead of the multimeter to a ground pin) . when i reversed the polarity (red lead of the multimeter to a +12vdc power pin), it read 22.56vdc. so there is something funky going on there. but i do not know why this would stop the machine from starting in the bottom corner of my desk, and simply raising it up 3-4 feet allows it to start every time.

i ordered a new psu today. newegg had a 500 watt thermaltake for $19.00 after the rebate comes back. ($39.00 now) i have no idea what uses the -12vdc line. but having it read way beyond acceptable range can not be good for the computer's longevity. i certainly can not afford to slow roast a CPU to death because of a psu. even if it does not fix the intermittent doa i was experiencing.

Back
Top Bottom