First, Windows didn't start; now, my HDD has gone missing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default First, Windows didn't start; now, my HDD has gone missing

I'm honestly freaking out right now because I have no idea what to do.

I was playing a game earlier (Sims 3) and suddenly the screen froze (after the screen froze, my computer made a weird noise. I'm pretty certain it came from HDD. It was like a "click-clack" sound). I didn't think much of it and restarted my computer. Well, my computer didn't load after it got to this screen (My computer started making the same click-clack sound again): http://prntscr.com/4joowh

So I restarted my computer again in Safe Mode only to find out my D drive was gone. I have SSD and HDD. As you can see in the picture, my SSD is fine but my HDD is gone and for some reason I keep getting "Please insert a disk into BD-ROM Drive (D " - which is the drive that has gone missing.
http://prntscr.com/4jol0t

When I click on "Start" this is what I see: http://prntscr.com/4joryp
As you can see, most program icons have gone missing because most of my programs were installed in my D drive.

It doesn't show up in BIOS as well.

I'm not sure if it's a virus or not but I don't know what to do.

Please help. ):

Pongsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: First, Windows didn't start; now, my HDD has gone missing

If it doesn't display in BIOS and you definitely head a click... then it's possible the drive is toast.

Firstly, while your computer is running feel the HDD and put your ear next to it. See if you can feel it vibrating/running or clear any clicking.

If it doesn't sound like anything is clicking, then you could try: a different SATA cable, a different port on the motherboard, and/or a different power connector from the PSU.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

First, I put my hand on top of my HDD while my computer was still running and I couldn't feel any vibration. Then I turned off my computer and tried a different SATA cable. I plugged in the SATA cable I use for my SSD to HDD. When I turned on the computer, I felt some sort of vibration but then I heard the click-clack noise again (about 4-5 times), and my HDD didn't show up in BIOS.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Does it sound similar to this?

If so... click of death. Hope you had your stuff backed up.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 09-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah. That's what it sounds like. Sigh. I guess my HDD is dead. Is there ANYWAY I can recover lost files/data?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Some things you can try, such as rotating the drive or the "freezer trick": Strategy for hard drive Click of Death crash recovery
Put Your Hard Drive in the Freezer to Recover Data - TheTechMentor.com

No guarantee any of it working though.

Or you can contact your HDD manufacturer to see what data recovery services cost (last I got a quote from SeaGate for their services, it was around $500 or so).