First time poster...First time problem. "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND."

Status
Not open for further replies.

oncearunner

Beta member
Hi all,

Like I said I am a first time poster here and hoping to get some guidance. I am a computer noob. I mean, I can manage here and there well...but when it comes to the hardware aspects I am doomed.

Everything was going fine with my laptop until last nite. Before all of this mess I had changed my internal harddrive because it was not sounding too well. So the current one I had in there was maybe a max of two to three months old. (Probably still under some type of warrant, will have to look...)

But likewise I was playing a computer game last nite and my computer was running extremely sluggish, more than usual. So I decided to quit the game and restart the whole computer to clean up the junk if there was any.

Everything was all fine and well untill i came in to the xp log in screen. After I logged in it was frozen on my desktop forever and my hardrive was making hissing and clicking noises.

I understand that the hard drive is now shot, gone, and never to be seen again. But after it was frozen I rebooted the computer to give it one more try. See if there was stiill life left in the sucker. TO my dismay everything worked fine this time around. I tinkered for a few minutes, checked my email...and i went to bed knowing maybe the hard drive was gonna live a little longer.

When I woke up thsi morning and booted my computer, it was a little sketchy...I had this feeling it might not go the way I wanted it to.

And I was right. It loaded up my intro and then went to a black screen with "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND." I tinkered around with the bios and what not, but it couldn't locate a hard drive either.

What options do I have? After I get a new hard drive can anyone post directions as to what to do? I am typing this question in advance.

Can anyone give me two routes? One route being...what if my hard drive is still alive, WHAT DO I DO?

And if its dead and get it replaced what are the steps after that. I dont know what to do.

Thanks everyone.

Welcome to TF! :)

put the hard drive in a plastic bag and into the freezer for about 2 hours. install it and try to run it. If it works, back up everything you want. then get you a new drive and reload your OS. If not then...

assuming you have all the disks and drivers. if not then you might be able to look at the companies website and download the drivers needed, (I.E. - Chipset, audio, video, LAN/wireless, etc...) specific for your laptop.

you must have the OS disk first though. If not, then this won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom