First Time Builder...Not Getting any Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

LethalVariation

Beta member
Its my first time building a machine myself, been looking to do it for some time now. Ill give you my specs

MSI NF980-G65 Mainboard
Amd Phenom II X4 945
Sapphire Raddeon 5770
Seagate 7200, 250 GB Hard drive
Lite-On IHOS104 Blu Ray Rom
2 Sticks of Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 Ram
Diablotek PHD 650 Watt PowerSupply
NZXT Tempest ATX Mid-Tower Case.

Started it up yesterday, everything worked great, system seemed to be recognizing all of the components, installed windows 7 even played Empire:Total War for a few hours. Shut it down afterwards without a hitch. Tonight I went to fire it up, and didn't get a response at all. Opened the case went back through the connections and couldn't see anything wrong. Checked the outlet, and the power cord and they don't seem to be the issue.

I don't think I should be approaching the limit of the 650 Watt power supply, but you tell me. Thanks in advance for anyone who helps...

Do you really mean NO response at all when you say 'no response at all'? E.g. fans didn't spin up, lights didn't come on, etc.
I'd do a quick check of the following:

Ram: Double check it's firmly seated.
Motherboard: verify that when the power is plugged in the onboard lights are on.
Bios: I'd do a reset. This is now:
1. Unplug the power, and press the power button a few times
2. Remove the silver, coin shaped battery from the motherboard and press the power button a few more times. Wait a minute or so.
3. Put the battery back in the motherboard, plug the power back in, and try starting.

I was getting no response at all, not from LED's not from fans. However, I removed the power, and then the CMOS battery, then cycled the power like you said and it worked! So what was causing the problem? A charge built up somwhere? How did I keep this from happening again?

Thank you very much for your help.

There are several possible causes for a problem like this. Could be a short on the motherboard. Check that all the risers are installed and that there are no loose screws floating about.
An improper shutdown would also do it. E.g. maybe you clicked standby or hibernate, then cut the power.

It did it again on me, I tried the CMOS removal, trick that was originally prescribed, however with no success this time. I'm going to check the risers and make sure they are all there, though I think they are and I tested all my screws and they felt solid.

Any other Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom