First computer build ever - seems unstable, any suggestions? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: First computer build ever - seems unstable, any suggestions?

I actually did disable automatic restart after the last time it restarted, just before starting this thread.
I only seem to have 1 minidump file, and if the first numbers of the filename are the date, it's from Sunday 6/24, which is a restart I never saw. I built the computer late Thursday night, then had to leave for a wedding over the weekend, but I left the computer on while I was gone so it could download some stuff. It was on when I got back Sunday night, and I saw the first screen freeze (issue 1 in my first post) when I got up the next morning.

I'm also not sure if you mean to upload the file to this post somehow, and if so, I don't know how, but here's a link to the file in my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/38uu9sw48k...2-24835-01.dmp
It's only 270 kb, so I didn't see a need to zip it.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by getting you the BSOD info. If the blue screen that came up with the memory/garbage dump or whatever was a BSOD, it was only shown for about 2 seconds, I didn't have time to read anything, so I wasn't really sure it was a BSOD in the first place. Plus, when the system rebooted, it never said anything about a crash or an error or anything to that effect, it just started like normal.

Godoftheblackflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, even though nobody has replied since I last posted, I figured I'd let anyone interested know that lowering my Memory speed seems to have gotten rid of my instability problem. My computer has been running smoothly since I did that, no random restarts or shutdowns. The HDMI audio problem seemed to go away too, though I don't know if it was related, but either way my new monitor and speakers arrived today, so I won't be using HDMI anymore anyway. That leaves sleep mode, which I haven't really had a chance to try out since posting this thread. I tried hibernation, but the computer just immediately started back up (but at least it came back up successfully).

Any way, long story short, thanks for the help guys. I never would have known to check CPU-RAM compatibility, so I really appreciate it, and I'm very happy that my new PC seems to be working right now.

Godoftheblackflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Thank you for posting back. Not only does this give TF users information, but it presents a possible solution for anyone who finds this thread in search of the solution to a related issue.