First build, not booting up...think it's PSU - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #31 (permalink)

Default Re: First build, not booting up...think it's PSU

Have you read pg 27 of the manual?

use a screwdriver and touch the pw's together.

Oh msg is also marked pw led as well

If your speaker can get hooked up, it'll tell you of beep errors

Old 01-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I most certainly have read that page. I've had everything hooked up, tried them each both ways (because the cables from my Centurion 5 case don't have a + or - marking), still get nothing. On top of that, I've tried the PW_Switch cable in every single slot, just to check to see if one would work.

I'm sorry for not understanding...this is my first build after all...but what do you mean by 'touch a screwdriver to the pws'?

Again, sorry for my ignorance.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

He means touch a screwdriver so that both the PW+ and PW- on the motherboard (from the picture above) are connected via the screwdriver head.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #34 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I must be a complete idiot, and you guys must think something similar, lol...but seriously, sorry for not being able to visualize this.

So I touch a screwdriver to the PW_switch part of the front panel...first of all I don't understand what this does; and secondly, I'm a little confused as to how to do this...before plugging in the PW_Switch cable...in place of the cable while all the others are plugged in, what?

Once more, again...I'm sorry for not understanding, but this isn't really very clear to me and it seems like it could be one of those potentially super important things that could get my build running.

I appreciate your patience.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kershner View Post
I must be a complete idiot, and you guys must think something similar, lol...but seriously, sorry for not being able to visualize this.

So I touch a screwdriver to the PW_switch part of the front panel...first of all I don't understand what this does; and secondly, I'm a little confused as to how to do this...before plugging in the PW_Switch cable...in place of the cable while all the others are plugged in, what?

Once more, again...I'm sorry for not understanding, but this isn't really very clear to me and it seems like it could be one of those potentially super important things that could get my build running.

I appreciate your patience.
Basically disregard all your cases' front panel connectors for the moment. From the picture posted above that is from the manual, you simply use a screwdriver and hold it so that the flathead touches both the PW+ pin and the PW- pin on the motherboard. So instead of putting the front panel PW SW pins on this location, you touch those two pins with the screwdriver. This should start up the computer. If nothing happens, then likely your motherboard is fried/DOA. Chat up with NewEgg customer service to get a new motherboard sent to you free of charge (and you will then have to mail them the DOA board, but with a prepaid shipping label so you don't lose any money).

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Much easier to understand, thank you so much. I'll try that soon enough!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #37 (permalink)

Also... Have you tried it totally out of the case? With only the vid card, ram and processor/fans.

I understand your "dumbness". I had stupidness awhile back too.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Techie

No dice with the screwdriver thing...if I did it right that is (the whole thing seemed really awkward and unnatural, but I guess that's the point).

So, I'm thinking it's the mobo...time for my first RMA!

Closed Thread