First build! Gone wrong..

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeps001

Beta member
Ok, so my first build isn't going very successfully.. System i bought is as follows..

MSI K9N Neo-F nForce 550 Socket AM2 PCI-E DD2
AMD AM2 Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
Arctic Cooling (AC-ALP-64) Alpine 64 CPU Cooler
2 x 1GB DDR2 533MHz PC2-4200 240-pin RAM
Asus 7600GS Silent 512mb DDR2 PCI-Ex16 Graphics
Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM Sata2/300 16MB Cache HDD
Sony AW-G170A10 18xDVD+-RW/RAM Dual Layer Writer

Tried to be as indepth as i could be in these, i'm not new to computers or the parts. But i've never built from scratch, done regular upgrades during the last 6 years, relied on parents to buy a new one when it needed it. But now i've moved out.. :confused:

I got my head around a few things on the internet on my current computer, (old Athlon 3200+, 2gb ram, 200gb ata/133 hdd 256mb graphics thing) and realised about motherboard seating, etc.. on the brass spacers.. sorted that in the case.. had put a cpu and heatsink in before, so that was fine..

Had only played with SATA/300 once before, but that was successful enough then.. (Though i couldn't get the Windows XP setup to find the drive, found it on the old version, so i set it up as a secondary drive..) That was for an in-law and seems to still be fine sixth months down the line..

RAM was fine DDR2 seems same, except pin layout to DDR1, graphics was fine.. Done those before, no problems.. Had never touched PCI-Ex16 before, but it seemed similar enough to AGP so i got on with it.

Set up power buttons to motherboard with some reference to the manual and soon enough it seemed ready. I connected it up and it turned on.. But there's no beeps coming from it on start up and more importantly, there's no video output to my VGA monitor.. I tried connecting the DVI adapter to the VGA cable and still no output.. I even got a speaker from an old case sat in the corner and tried it onto the motherboard, see if there was any beeps then, there wasn't.. I'm not 100% that the speaker worked, but i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work..

Having not much experience with SATA i plugged it into this machine now and booted up.. Windows didn't find it, but then i didn't go through the "Find Hardware Wizard" perhaps i should've in hindsight.. Still..

Being the parts only arrived on Friday, i could easily send back and forget the whole experience, but i'd rather not.. I want to sit back and enjoy my first self build fully.. Are there any ideas floating around as to what could be wrong with it? Initial ideas from myself were faulty graphics card, for the VGA output.. But that still doesn't explain the HDD and no bootup sounds, right?

Oh, i forgot to mention also, that my KVM system recognises that it's turned on when connected and i have the option of switching to the new system, but the keyboard won't respond after switching to it, so i have to turn it off to return to my old one. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

cant say what would be wrong there....all i can really say is just double check that all the power cords are connected correctly trying re-seating the vid card and the ram, check the connections on EVERYTHING if that still doesnt seem to do it, u might have fried the mobo if u tried starting it up without those spacers

Yes it is very possible you could of damaged the Ram,Motherboard,Cpu or even the Power supply. You probably should Return the items and see if you can get an exchange and try again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom