First Build: Boot up Issues - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: First Build: Boot up Issues

I just unplugged the Hard drive and the optical drive as well as the RAM and both front panel USB cables, and it did the exact same thing =[

Just to clarify the Re-booting itself is NO LONGER an issue.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

ok plug them back in. This now sounds like it's definitely a mobo or gpu issue.

take the vid card out. boot it up... Do the LED lights change at all? I assume you haven't setup the system speaker yet, right?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Yeah, you can look up beep codes. I myself use a diagnostic card. I got one cheap from Ebay a few years ago
Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

me and slaymate have had this problem with evga mobo's. the way slaymate fixed it, was reset the bios and let it sit for about 20-30 mins with power cord out, try that several times to see if it works. The way mine fixed was either by doing that or moving the ram into the next channel (did them at the same time so i dont know)
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You say you can't see any video at post. Can you hear the single post beep? Your mobo has a built-in speaker so you should hear any beeps.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

snap, sorry, really should have read the rest of the posts in the thread before i posted...since you are staying on it most likely is not the problem i posted.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 12-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Oh man, Oh man the things you learn during your first build.

"You say you can't see any video at post. Can you hear the single post beep? Your mobo has a built-in speaker so you should hear any beeps."

I figured since it stayed on, I just wasn't seeing whatever was on the screen. This was before I realized that I needed to hear a beep, not just a click. I've been at a friends house all day (who has built 2-3 computers) and we've been trying to get it to work.

First problem (which I actually figured was, but I thought I'd ask him before trying to fix it) was an 8-pin connection that wasn't plugged in which was apparently CPU power.

After fooling with a lot of different troubleshooting options we started getting some crazy LED error codes and whatnot. FINALLY he decided to take all the RAM out and just put in one stick of it. Booted up perfectly with no issues. We decided my RAM must be the issue.

I got home, pulled that stick of RAM out, did some cable management, put the RAM back in and booted it up.. same issue. =[ I called him to tell him, and he says "wait, did I put that stick of RAM in when we tested it?" to which I replied yes.

Turns out I wasn't pushing my RAM far enough in =[ To me it felt like it was sliding in, but apparently you have to apply a fair amount of force until it actually snaps in. Just a beginner's mistake I guess. =/ I tried to boot it up with the rest of the RAM in, after knowing how to put it in properly and worked perfectly.

Thanks everyone for all your help! It's been GREATLY appreciated. Just figured I'd fill everyone in for their own knowledge or anyone else who may come across a similar troubleshooting process.

Thanks VERY much, again.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If you have any more problems with that EVGA mobo let us know, were getting pretty good with them
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Will do! I like this place a lot. I'll be hanging around
Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Glad we could help, Jay!