Firewire Issues Please Help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Firewire Issues Please Help!

What's up guys...
I've tried looking for the answer to my problem through these threads, but I can't find anything. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 that's a few years old, although I've done some upgrades to keep it going, and now I want to put a firewire card in it. I just spent a bunch of money on Pro Tools recording software and an M-Audio firewire interface, thinking it would take $30 and a few minutes to make my pc compatible with it. I install the pci card (Belkin F5U503), and boot the thing back up and I get a 'plug&play error" message (well more like 20 of them in a column). I'm guessing it's due to my BIOS being out of date? It's a 2001 Pheonix ver A03 on a Dell mobo. I tried to get a BIOS update from Dell's website, but the one they gave me totally crashed my pc and I was forced to reformat to even get into Windows. I called Dell weeks ago, and was told they were sending me an update CD that would arrive on Jan 25th. Still haven't received it. So before I flip out on them or end up dropping money I shouldn't be spending on a new pc... do you guys think that its just a simple matter of a BIOS update?

EDIT: Let me know if you need more specs to answer...thanks

Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It wouldn't let me make another edit, but....would it be worth buying a different Firewire card and trying that? If so, any recommendations?
Closed Thread