Firewire Hard Drive Recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinking060310

Beta member
Hey everyone,
I got a new hard drive (EIDE) and I hooked it up to the motherboard as normal and formatted and renamed it. I had no problem doing this, it was recognized and everything was good to go.

So, I went ahead and I installed the drive into the Firewire hard drive case and now when its plugged in, Windows XP Pro x64, nor Vista will recognize it at all. I unplug that drive and hook up another that I have and it spins up and is recognized just fine.

All jumpers are the same between the 2 drives. It is getting power and spins up. Windows Hardware ID wizard does not pick it up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Katie
:freak:

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel then click Administrative Tools then Computer Management.

Under Storage in the tree diagram, click on Disk Management. Can you see the new volume there?

If you can see the volume, and it is unpartitioned and or unformatted, create a new partition using all the available space in the new drive (or as many partitions as you want), and format it as NTFS.

just locate the hard drive and right click on it and choose "Format". When done, you should be able to see your hard drive :)

and if it is not there?

I think your problem is with the jumpers then. I know you said both external HDs have the same setting but i would like you to try this: take the jumper completely off! yup, just give it a try. I have an external IDE with no jumpers on it and it works just fine.

Please let me know how it goes? :happy:
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom