firewire damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
OK. my dad has been having some printer trouble. the computer would not recognise it, so he asked me to take a look. (its an old printer, that has alway worked fine).

i though ok, i will reinstall drivers. i did, and it did not work. i looked at the ports list, and the printer was then set to LPT, rather than firewire like it used to be. firewire was not an option i could change the printer to.

i then thought it may be a hw issue.
to check the firewire card, i checked the firewire external hdd, which still works fine.

i theb switched the cables round on the fw card. the hdd worked still, and the printer didnt.

i then looked at the back of the printer. the fw cable appeared to have been rammed in backwards. the outer metal on the port of the printer seems to be bent outwards slightly.

if i connect the HDD to the comp, using the PRINTERS cable, nothing happens (so cable doesnt work). if i connect the PRINTER to the comp, using the HDD cable (that works) nothing happens.

it appears that the printers fw cable, and its fw port is broken.

the printer works FINE when connected via USB.

so. what damage could that backwards cable have done? is the printer likely to be damaged, or just the cable? (both seem to be damaged to me).

dad wants the printer connected via fw, as the comp is usb1.0 only.

thanks in advance.

please guys, this printer was not cheap. i just want to know what parts of it may be damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom