Firefox, Spotify and shutdown hang ups - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Michael_R. Send a message via AIM to Michael_R. Send a message via MSN to Michael_R.
Default Firefox, Spotify and shutdown hang ups

Hey folks,
long time, since Ive last been here. The looks kind of changed

I have got one really strange problem, which I think is related to one of my harddrives, but I am not sure and I dont know how I could find out which is the one.
I have one OCZ128gb Vertex2 (System), two 1,5tb Western Digitals in Raid 1 (main data partition) and two Samsung 750gb (Backup) also in Raid 1 and one Samsung 500gb (quite old model).

Ive been away for about a month and ever since Im having trouble:
First, Firefox regularly, like every 20minutes to two hours, crashes. I can force close the Firefox windows via the "x" in the top right corner. In addition to that it often does not load a page, however when I open a harddrive it then instantly loads the website. Most of the time it is the backup drive or the 500gb Samsung, but sometimes also the main data drive.

Second, Spotify crashes like every two to four hours, sometimes it recovers, sometimes not. Zune for example does not crash at all.

Third, sometimes the whole system freezes. This however did not occur very often till now.
Fourth, the system, when powered on for longer periods, takes for ever to shut down (up to 1,5h)

What is making this additionally weird is that the two internet related programs are the ones who mainly are having the issues.
Also, when one of the programs freezes I cannot access the task manager any more. It either does not open, or it instantly freezes as well.
And one last thing, one of the HDDs seems to get into some kind of sleep mode after a while. I hear it being turned off with a click. As soon as I click through the list of hard drives it then starts up again.

Well, these are the symptoms, I really hope you can somehow help me.

Best regards,
Michael =)

Michael_R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Michael_R. Send a message via AIM to Michael_R. Send a message via MSN to Michael_R.
Default Re: Firefox, Spotify and shutdown hang ups

Anyone?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Things to try:

Go into advanced power options for whatever power scheme you're in, and disable turning off / sleeping of hard drives (just set the time to 0 minutes).

I would also recommend running a chkdsk /f /r on the drive(s).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Hey carnageX,
I actually changed the HDD sleep setting and dont have any problems anymore =)
Thank you very much!
I still think it is rather strange. The setup worked for 1,5 years with the standard setting and all of a sudden I experienced these problems...