finished building my new pc yesterday. only 1 problem ocured

kevinkyo

Solid State Member
Hai. I just registered here today as i noticed i need some help
I finished building my new pc yesterday (posting component list at bottom)
the pc itself runst smootly and not a single problem.

exept:

when you look at the component list i have made at bottom you can see i got one mechanic HDD (1TB) for storage use. and one SSD (electronic) for OS use.
but when i boot up my windows and are ready to install i can only find the HDD and NOT the SSD... i dotn know why. i have tried to double and trple check the connections from the ssd to sata ports. everything is fine. i tried to unplug the hdd to make sure i only select the SSD and not hdd, but when i did that it didnt find the ssd either (exactly nothing pops up where you are suposed to select where you want to install the windows)

so now i temporary installed the win8 at my HDD but i really want it on the ssd as i want as small reading delay as possiblie.

could anyone think of any posibily solutions?

Component list:

781952 ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PhysX CUDA "DirectCU II OC", with Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel coupon

814896 ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER, Socket-1150 ATX, Z97, DDR3, 3xPCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, VGA,DVI,HDMI, M.2, SupremeFX,GameFirst III

783661 Cooler Master HAF 912 Adv. Midi Tower Vifter:1x 200mm Front, 1x 200mm Topp, 1x 120mm Bak, mATX, ATX, LEDs, Vindu

792033 Cooler Master V8 GTS CPU Kjøler 755/115x/2011/2011-3/1366, AM2(+)/AM3(+)/FM1/FM2, 600~1600 RPM, 28~82 CFM

774729 Corsair CX 750W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard. 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 6x SATA, 4x Molex

744179 Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB 8GB kit(4GBx2), CL9, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24

780483 Intel Core i7-4770K Socket-LGA1150, Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 8MB, 84W, HD4600, Boxed w/fan, Haswell

791617 Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB OEM Basic KIT, 540/410MB/s read/write, Samsung MEX controller

809453 WD Desktop Purple 1TB SATA 3.0 SATA 6Gb/s, 64MB, 3.5", Surveillance Hard drive

thanks for your attention
-Kevin

Nice system, When I did mine I only had the SSD installed so it had no other drive to choose, After the install I connected the HD for starage, I went a little larger at 3TB since I almost filled my 1 TB on my old system, Also there is the boot options for which HD in the Bios but just having the SSD to install windows set that automatically. If you do a fresh instal on the SSD then your best bet is to format the 1 TB before hand because with 2 hard drives both with windows installed for the same system it may go to the HD when booting up so best to have the windows NOT on the storage drive when you plug it in.

Dauntae

Nice system, When I did mine I only had the SSD installed so it had no other drive to choose, After the install I connected the HD for starage, I went a little larger at 3TB since I almost filled my 1 TB on my old system, Also there is the boot options for which HD in the Bios but just having the SSD to install windows set that automatically. If you do a fresh instal on the SSD then your best bet is to format the 1 TB before hand because with 2 hard drives both with windows installed for the same system it may go to the HD when booting up so best to have the windows NOT on the storage drive when you plug it in.

Dauntae
15000 NOK on it haha :p
(2274.42 USD)
(1790.56 Euro)

i tried same thign as you. i unplugged my hdd and started boot with only ssd connected. but it didnt detect the ssd at all. Basically with only ssd connected no alternatives popped up at all.

but maby i should format it?

(btw in what format should it be? i allways mix up the pc format and playstation... xD i know one of them uses ntfs but i dont remember wich one haha)

Last edited:
it shows up as an alternative for booting yes in the BIOS. but it doesnt appear in the windows install when im about to select wich drive i want windows to install on :S

Unplug your HDD so only your SSD is plugged in; boot off of the install disc. During the Win8 install, press Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt.

enter these commands (each line is a command, press Enter after each one):

diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # = the SSD number)
clean

I've had to do something similar with a friend's hybrid drive (SSD+HDD) where it wouldn't recognize the drive b/c of the SSD portion. Doing that fixed it.

If it doesn't install still, then you may have to run the following after you run the "clean" command:

Create Partition Primary Align=1024
Format Quick FS=NTFS

Last edited:
Unplug your HDD so only your SSD is plugged in; boot off of the install disc. During the Win8 install, press Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt.

enter these commands (each line is a command, press Enter after each one):

diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # = the SSD number)
clean

I've had to do something similar with a friend's hybrid drive (SSD+HDD) where it wouldn't recognize the drive b/c of the SSD portion. Doing that fixed it.

If it doesn't install still, then you may have to run the following after you run the "clean" command:

Create Partition Primary Align=1024
Format Quick FS=NTFS

allrighty im going to try that too hope that fixes it :p

allrighty im going to try that too hope that fixes it :p

i managed to solve the problem myself actually. what i did to fix it was:

goto bios
goto run as other OS
unplugg hdd and let only ssd stay plugged in

then switch the boot from legacy to the other one i dont remember xD

then goto secure erease, the ssd was stated as frozen
click erease, reboot pc, complete ereasing. then it reboots again and this time go back to bios and choose: force boot (on ssd)

then voila!!!! working perfectly

(dont ask me how this solved the problem but it did :p)

(lock topic)

Back
Top Bottom