File is missing or corrupt... SYSTEM32\CONFIG. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default File is missing or corrupt... SYSTEM32\CONFIG.

I have spent the last couple of days trying to find a solution or some insight and have come up empty-handed.

I have a Gateway desktop that has given me problems for the past few months and finally I turned it on last week and received the message from hell...

"Windows could not start because the folowing file is missing or corrupt: WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM."

I have found out that in order to recover the computer I need the Operating System (Windows XP) Install CD. Well when I bought the computer XP was pre-installed to the computer. So that does not help. Also, there are no recovery or back-up CDs either. So with that said, I have a couple of questions.

Can I just purchase a new copy of Windows XP and use that to boot from the CD and get to recovery mode and revive my desktop?

If I am going to purchase a new OS CD, why not just get Windows 7? Or will this not work?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am at my wits end with this desktop and could really use some help.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: File is missing or corrupt... SYSTEM32\CONFIG.

we wouldn't know if it would run windows 7 without system specs. but probably not because it's designed for xp, back when windows 7 wasnt even around also, since you technically already purchased windows xp with your pc, contact wherever you bought the desktop from or gateway and ask them to send you a physical copy of the cd for free. with a problem like this you almost certainly have to do either a repair or a full reinstall of the OS edit: your cd key should be on some sticker on your pc btw. and also if it just randomly happened you need to check your hdd for errors. do chkdsk /r from the recovery console before attempting the repair

Old 12-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: File is missing or corrupt... SYSTEM32\CONFIG.

I had the same issue with a HP desktop, i was getting a windows could not start because of...
HAL.DLL file is missing or corrupt. And of course HP uses a partition to storge the backup recovery windows files, and they want 60 dollars for the set of cds.
Closed Thread