Fdisk help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapphiremyr0

Beta member
hi i im on my friends comp now but my comp at home got a virus that i cant get rid of and it has messed my internet stuff up on it. i can not log onto the internet with it so i want to f disk it and reload my windows xp pro on it. well i have a pass code and i have a xp disc but i need a boot disk so i can fdisk my comp with the smart frive or whatever its called im not to great ant software work i just know a little about pc hardware and noramaly i have my friend do my fdisking but hes gone in iraq right now and wont be back til next year so i need to do it myself and im short on money so i cant take it in. so anyone have any links with software so i can download the stuff i know i need a floppy disk to do it and i have it with my windows xp disk but i need to to the the memory wipe and stuff so if any one would help id be very happy and one last question i know it doesnt go here i get all kinds of awsers on it but i have a AMD athlon xp 2200+ how fast should it go cause i have it at 1.8ghz and i had a AMD athlon xp 3000+ and they went the same speed? so im trying to figure this out any help would be very aprtiated thanks all and sorry for rough spelling just trying to get some help well thanks all to who decides to help

Fdisk? Do you mean "format"? You can use a tool like GParted to wipe the disk, or Killdisk (these will just wipe the disk for you). XP will format the disk when you go to install it.

For either GParted or Killdisk, Google them to find and download them. Burn them to disk as an image. You can use CDBurnerXP to do it (it's free, just Google it). Boot from the CD (just like when installing XP) to use them.

The 2200+ was a socket A CPU. The 3000+ could be a socket A or a socket 754 (if it is the same speed it would be s754). The s754 is a 64-bit CPU, while the socket A was a 32-bit. There is a speed difference, but if you computer is bogged down you won't be able to tell it. Also, the amount of RAM in the computer will have a lot to do with whether or not the CPU can run flat out.

thanks for the info on the amd i was just woundering and i dont know i know he had a floppy disk he used and would fdisk and format the hard drive than it would be open for xp install but he would do that than use a xp disk and than install windos xp im sorry to be buggy just i dont want to mess my comp up more than i have its a good comp for doing my school work and i really dont have the money to buy a new one or new parts but thats all i know ill check the things you toldme to look at

ok forgot something it also has something to do with my main files something wrong with xp cause thats why i wanted to know info on how to fdisk it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom