Faulty something ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jOnniesz

Solid State Member
okay this is how it is, i just bought a new motherboard and when i connected it all up it wouldnt start up, but then when i unplugged the 4pin atx plug it started (turned on) up but didnt boot up any suggestions for whats wrong with it ?

hrmmms my psu is 470w, im running

Core 2 E6420
Ati x1650
seagate 160gb
2gb kingston ram
and pioneer dvd burner

470 should be enough isnt it ?

do the power supply match those required by the motherboard? meaning the voltage for the rails and so on. also, you'll need to reinstall windows on your hard drive as it wont recognize the board you are installing.

While your PSU might be able to spew out enough watts, it may be useless as it only spews them out along the wrong voltage rails.

Your computer needs power at a variety of different voltages. A PSU has several different rails, each supplying one of those voltages. Say your computer draws 15Amps along the 12V rail (~150W drain on the 12V rails), if your PSU supplys 470W, but the combined current rating on the 12V rails is 10A, your PSU will not be able to properly power the computer. Generally, the greatest wattage load on a computer is through the 12V rails, as they supply the graphics cards (which chug power like theres no tomorrow).
Any ideas what your PSU make and model is?

Here is an example of the data you need. If you click on the specifications tab, and scroll down, under 'output', you can see that this PSU has three 12V rails, each capable of 18A, which is very good for a 520w power supply.

so can i have a suggestion for my motherboard
asus p5ld2 SE

but this right now on that computer i got a ThermalTake 470W TR2 ATX V2.0 Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom