Faulty Power Supply, Motherboard or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeverd01

Beta member
I have been having an issue lately. The other day I started getting artifacts when playing a game, so I started restarted and all was good.Then yesterday the video went and the cpu fan stopped along with the video card. Restarted and everything was fine.

Today I was playing a game and the system video went out and the cpu fan stopped again. I tried powering down and holding in the power button wouldn't shut it down as usual. I unplugged the power cord and then tried starting up the machine. No luck the power lights for the case and the case fan hooked directly in to the power board started up. I also got power on the motherboard, no beeps but the heatsink fan on the cpu, and the gpu fan didn't start.

I swapped the the graphics card with another one I had laying around and still no luck. Then I put in the old card and was ready to throw in the towel and magically the system started when I tried to turn it on. I am not seeing anything in the event viewer other than the message below.

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

The board is around 1 year and a few months old. The power supply is a BFG and around 4 years old. The card is the newest of them all slightly older than one year old and is a ati radeon 5750 xfx brand. The cpu is a amd II x4 955 black edition, although I haven't overclocked anything and is just as old as the motherboard. Could this possibly be a ram issue?

Link to the motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130275&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3876131&SID=

What do you guys think I should start replacing first. Is there any diagnostic boot disk I could run that would help? Does this sound like a heat issue to you guys, the system was under a heavy load but nothing seamed extremely hot when I opened it up shortly after died. Idle temps are as follows (I don't want to put the system under load since I want to order something before it totally craps):

CPU idle 50C
GPU Idle 48C
Board: 44c 35C

Thanks for the help in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom