Faulty Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwalker

Beta member
Faulty Harddrive?

Do i have a fulty harddrive?
On my laptop i have 2 harddrives, i only used he primary one (C) but when i reinstalled windows onit it dumped all the old windows files onto the secondary drive (D).
Now i want to install Windows 7 onto it but when i do both hard drives will be formatted so i am trying to get all important files (photos, etc) from both drives but on drive D, when i try to copy certain folders it just freezes and i cant do nothing for ages. It happened with some other folders but after a few tries i managed to copy them onto the C drive but no matter how much i try i cannot copy files from that folder. Im sure it isnt the files itself because when i open the folder thumnails would appear of the photos.
Lastly ive installed "Hard drive inspecer trial" and it says both harddrives are ok, the software doesnt look that good so im not sure if thats correct

So does anyboy know whats happening and how i can copy these files to the C drive?
Any help would be appreciated.

If you need any more infro just ask.

i am assuming that you have an external HDD to transfer the data to
boot to a live linux brand (knoppix is a good one)
after you boot connect your external HDD Right click on it and choose enable read write mode. create a folder and the drag the files you want to keep in to that folder from you other drives. if you dont see your other drives open terminal and type
"sudo gparted" i think, and then they should auto mount on the desktop

good luck

i am assuming that you have an external HDD to transfer the data to
boot to a live linux brand (knoppix is a good one)
after you boot connect your external HDD Right click on it and choose enable read write mode. create a folder and the drag the files you want to keep in to that folder from you other drives. if you dont see your other drives open terminal and type
"sudo gparted" i think, and then they should auto mount on the desktop

good luck

Ok im gonna try that now, just downloading the file, 56%. I forgot abou trying this.
Thanks

Yeah well i installed Fedora onto a USB a started it and that same photos folder will not load on their either (but did not crash my computer like windows does).
Oh well, i might have the photos on some old dvd somewhere, it was only about 15 of a skiing holiday so not much of a big deal. Must have got corrupted or something when installing Win7 RC.

THANKS ANYWAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom