Fan RPM's high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martianX10

Baseband Member
This is a screenshot of my AbitEQ when the computer is basically idling, having opened just one Mozilla Firefox window (it didnt change much after I opened Ffox [+1*C]):

worry5yd.jpg

Im not really worried about the temperature, I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 3200+, and they can run pretty hot (so I hear), but what I'm looking at are the Fan RPMS. Are those a bit high? Especially for idling?

Also, maybe twice in the last 3-4 months (one being today), my computer has thrown itself into sleep mode, and sounded some type of two-tone alarm. The temperature wasnt high at all, and it seemed to only happen when Windows was first starting up.

Motherboard - Abit AN7 uGuru
PSU - Raidmax (I know I know) Raidmax 550w

Any input would be appreciated, and I swear I'm gonna start giving back to this community somehow, you guys are always answering my questions. :eek:

Make sure the fans are not blocked. Most will increase in speed when it does not get adequate airflow, for example, covering the top of the fan with your hand.

Yeah, I could probably afford to get a more well ventilated case, or at least maybe a few nicer fans than the ones I have. It's cool though, as long as that doesn't seem alarmingly high to you guys, I'm fine for now. I'll probably first invest in a better power supply, considering this one is Raidmax. Seems to be working fine to me though.

have you checked for a dust problem in the HSF on the CPU?

If you have dust clogging your HSF, take a toothpick and lightly pull the dust out until the heatsink/fan are clear of any obstructions..

Do this when the computer is off, i am not saying to this make you sound dumb, but alot of people on here will flame you if you dont include all of the important yet common sense information. ;)

Reply back on if there is dust in there or not.

Heh don't worry, I deal with a lot of people who would try doing it when it was on. "I feel your pain" :p

There isn't too much visible dust, but in the next few days I'll (lightly) take an air can to it, I'm not going to be here much today or tomorrow I don't think, so I'm not too worried about it right this second. Thanks again!

you can do it uzi's way and use a tooth pik and be there all day or you can just take the heat sink off the cpu (while the computer is off) and then take the fan off and blow into the heatsink from a side angle to get all the dust out off that as well....

i just recently done this to mine and the temps drop...

Yeah, I don't feel like re-doing my therm right now, that s*** is a pain. Ill try toothpick/aircan sometime in the next few days and get back to ya.

uzi9mm said:
the toothpick method works, takes 1 minute tops.. and your way of doing it, you have to reapply the grease.

but the toothpick doesnt clean in the heatsink ??? so that leaves the dust in there still causing the heat to become 'trapped' and not escape out the side of the heatsink ???

Avalanch3 said:
but the toothpick doesnt clean in the heatsink ??? so that leaves the dust in there still causing the heat to become 'trapped' and not escape out the side of the heatsink ???

That's why i used to use a paint brush on my old heatsink ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom