Fan problems, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddsch

Beta member
Okay I think this is the right place to post this, so if not, I appologise. :)

Right so last night I was on my PC quite late, just browsing the internet, chatting and listening to music, purely standard stuff, when my PC started growling at me, quite loud. Almost immediately I closed my computer down safely, left if for around 5minutes, then booted it back up to see if the problem would have just disappeared, unfortunately not! Although it's late, and I was tired, so went straight to bed.

I awake this morning and boot up. Now having booted up several times now, it seems this noise only begins a few minutes after boot up whilst I'm on my desktop. Being brave, I open my PC case to have a look inside, not really knowing what I'm doing, but hopefully common sense could have fixed the problem. I identified the problem as being one of the fans (I think there's 4 inside?) And it seems it's one connected to my motherboard. It's quite a large fan, and once I booted up again with the case open I could identify the noise coming from here, or atleast I think.

Now my PC still operates fine, and nothing seems to be overheating, but the inside of my case was very dusty, i tried blowing some out but I didn't want to touch anything cause I'm not to sure what I'm doing. Whilst the fan makes the noise, it seems to still be operating fine, spinning around very fast, so as of now I don't think it has malfunctioned or anything of the sort.

Does anyone have any solutions as to why this is happening? Or anything I could try to fix the problem? Preferbly without having to replace any parts! Any questions that could help your understanding I'd be happy to answer!

Thanks, Edd.

don't worry your not likely to break anything by looking inside first you need to get rid of the dust so turn it off and either blow it out by mouth or buy some canned air. best way is to go outside and do it so that it doesn't blow all round your room. if it isn't a clog of dust thats causing the problems then you can either slow down the fan using speedfan software. If that doesn't solve it buy a new fan

I went out and bought 'airduster' from Maplin for just under £10, sprayed it into those hard to reach places covered in dust and the ran smoothly for around 10minutes before making this noise again. I don't think it could be the dust, I've used the airduster several times to the extent where it's pretty much spotless.

I could really use some help here, so I'll give you guys the best information of my situation I can, although I not very experienced with nor knowledgeable of the insides of my PC.

I think the problem is caused by the fan connected to my motherboard. Below is an image of my Winfast NF4K8AC mb, and the fan is situated above the words "WinFast" ontop of that white box.

NF4K8AC.jpg

Even though I custom picked the parts for my computer, I had a company (CCL) set it all up for me. Although this was 1 1/2 - 2 years ago and the waranty has ran out. On all google images, after searching my particular motherboard, none of them appeared to have the large fan on it. I'm not sure weather it was something they put on for me, or it's simply missed out on the image to see what's beneath it.

So after I boot up, there is no noise for some 5-10 minutes then kicks in, and I don't think it is anything I do which trigures it. After examining the problem, the actual fan doesn't seem to be effected at all, it still spins at the same speed (as far as I can observe) and the noise would seem to be coming from behind the actual fan - maybe from the motor? When it first started, I hit the case on the top (no idea why, seemed logical at the time!) and the sound goes away and comes back almost immedialty, just like it would if you were slowing a motor down and it speeds back up.

I'd be great if anyone could tell me if my PC is actually at danger? I am currently using a different computer locating in the same house, and don't want to risk damaging the PC by leaving it on with this noise. Is it safe to still use it? I think the sound does fade away after a while to come back a few minutes later.
Also, I assume the motherboard itself is still in a good condition, seeing as though I can boot the computer up and use it just as normal without any problems. Is this assumption correct?
So would it be simply just a case of replacing the fan if there is no solution to fixing it? I've been told my type of motherboard isn't made any more, so it'd be quite an irritating (and most likely expensive) issue to resolve if I need to replace it. Any idea on the costs?

Any ideas or solutions or just general knowledge (i'd like to learn a little from this experience!) on my problem would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge which proberbly doesn't help but I'm trying my best :)

Thanks, Edd.

the fan you identified is called a CPU fan, the most important fan in the system keeping the cpu nice and cool.

what id suggest is going into your BIOS (press Del or F2, or F1) right before you start the computer. Go to the Hardware Monitoring area right under advance tab (i think) then you should see your RPM of the CPU Fan , if its under 2000RPM then thats a problem because it should run close to 2700RPM

to fix it your going to have to blow it clean and tear off the sticker thats on the fan, then you'll see a little hole where you can but lubricant in it

It's just a noise problem and shouldn't cause your machine any harm.
ya but if its making noise then its telling the user thats its not running smooth and that the fan isn't running the RPM it should be so the cpu might overheat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom