False low disk space messages. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy False low disk space messages.

My laptop keeps popping up with messages warning me of low disk space. Usually I would try and ignore an issue like this, but its more serious than that.. My computer actually thinks that it is short on disk space, when I know for sure it isn't. I have virtually no programs or anything on my laptop, but my computer is insisting that I only have 800mb left of 80gigs.

Ive had this problem before in the past, but i managed to fix it when I found a forum on the net where others had the same issue. I think I downloaded some sort of reg fix which sorted it out.. But I really can't rememember what/where it was.

So please! Someone help!

Oh and if its any help I'm running windows vista. I think it's the home premium version.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: False low disk space messages.

try ccleaner to remove temp files.
CCleaner - Home

and check restore and shadow copy settings:
How To Reduce Disk Space Used By Windows Vista System Restore

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I think you misunderstand- I am not trying to find a way to save disk space. I have plenty of it. The problem is that for some reason my computer is convinced that I have around only a gig left of space on my hard disk, when infact I probably have something more along the lines of around 40.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Show a screen shot of my computer. My guess is you have a bunch of hidden files from temp and restore points that are taking up the space.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (17.7 KB, 238 views)

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Closed Thread