Fairly big problem with my DVD drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Fairly big problem with my DVD drive

So yesterday I went back from Ubuntu to Vista and everything was working fine - including the DVD drive.

However, I load up the computer this morning and it seems as though my DVD drive has just disappeared. No, it hasn't been stolen, it's still there, it's just that it isn't being recognised.

So, I go into the BIOS as my first port of call, it's recognised by the SATA thingy as being there, so I go back into Windows and try to update the driver. Up-to-date. No website for the TSSTcorp hardware so I'm a bit stuck.

If I try to update the firmware, the Dell/TSSTcorp utility just loads up, says "Wait..." and then never actually does anything. The light is permanently on right from powering up to when it is turned off. If I try to eject a DVD, it won't come out. I can get the DVD out but I have to power off and use a paperclip. In the Computer window, it lists a CD Drive, so when I click on that it tells me to insert a CD. Clicking the eject option on the drive menu doesn't release the CD either.

So yeah, I'm a bit stuck. Dell Tech Support Chat now only operates Monday to Friday and this is driving me up the wall.

ALSO when I have tried to "scan for hardware changes" in Computer Management, I've had a couple of BSODs?

Side notes

a) Vista was installed prior to Ubuntu, I then did a complete reformat to get Ubuntu and then another reformat to go to Vista again. As such, there are no System Restore points.

b) The properties dialog box says it is working fine? I can't spot anything there.

c) I have tried all of the applicable Dell downloads for my hardware and current set-up.

Many thanks.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Fairly big problem with my DVD drive

Darn! ()

When I go into the BIOS settings now, the drive name (TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-H553A) is now replaced by gibberish - random letters and characters that appear to make no sense whatsoever.

What's going on?!
Closed Thread