Failing screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
I am about to replace my ageing pc & monitor, but need some interim assistance please.....
My screen keeps dying, and I am unsure whether it is the 15 year old monitor or the onboard graphics of a ~5 year old mobo.
After PC is on with monitor off, when I arrive home from work and turn it on, after a short period the screen slowly turns black, indicating to me that the it is due to overheating of the mobo, any ideas?
Any diagnostic checks that I can do to determine which I need to fix?

15 year old monitor? Buddy that's 640x480 for the expensive ones, and they only supported 8bit color (256 colors). I think it's most likely newer than that. Most monitors from 1990 were some shade of monochrome, or EGA/CGA at best with washed out funky looking color. At that time VGA was new, and SVGA was a few years off. They didn't even make 3d accelerators.

Remember Doom? The original I mean. It was released in 1993. :) Fun fact..

On to your question....

I would recommend checking the system with another monitor first to determine if it's the video card or the monitor. Although by what you say I would guess it's the monitor.

You can find lots of CRTs on Craigslist (or local refurb shops) for $10 and $20 even for the huge ones. And lots of the later model CRTs display brilliant images, although they are pretty bulky. The only way I would know to test it would be to get another monitor and plug it in.

That's not the best of help....
1. Today PC has been on all day (with monitor off), and I have comer hoem andused it for the whole evenin and screen hasn't failed, so how would another monitor confirm tha if i borrowed for an evening?
2. don't want another CRT.......why did you go down there?!?!?

HELP.....is there any other ideas?

That's not the best of help....
1. Today PC has been on all day (with monitor off), and I have comer hoem andused it for the whole evenin and screen hasn't failed, so how would another monitor confirm tha if i borrowed for an evening?
2. don't want another CRT.......why did you go down there?!?!?

HELP.....is there any other ideas?

1. spell and grammar check. I'm fading in and out of what appears to be sentence fragments in your posts.

Edit: sorry not fragments word jumbling and sentence structure. I get it now. but continuing....

2. He gave you a diagnostic. Use another monitor to see if its your monitor failing. If not it's probably your onboard.

3. If it's truely 15yo you can scrounge up 10 bucks in your couch get a newer but still old crappy monitor but still see a huge difference. Atleast until you got something decent.

You never said offer you ideas on choosing a new flat screen and your lacking of any true information besides "sometimes my monitor goes black and my gear is really old!" makes it hard for people to help.

1. spell and grammar check. I'm fading in and out of what appears to be sentence fragments in your posts.

Edit: sorry not fragments word jumbling and sentence structure. I get it now. but continuing....

2. He gave you a diagnostic. Use another monitor to see if its your monitor failing. If not it's probably your onboard.

3. If it's truely 15yo you can scrounge up 10 bucks in your couch get a newer but still old crappy monitor but still see a huge difference. Atleast until you got something decent.

You never said offer you ideas on choosing a new flat screen and your lacking of any true information besides "sometimes my monitor goes black and my gear is really old!" makes it hard for people to help.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

After PC is on with monitor off, when I arrive home from work and turn it on, after a short period the screen slowly turns black, indicating to me that the it is due to overheating of the mobo, any ideas?

Your PC is on all day. You turn the monitor on and it slowly turns black.
In your second post you said you turn the monitor on and it worked all night, so which is it?
Either way..
This does not sound like a video card issue, it sounds like a monitor issue. The only way to be sure of which one it is would be to test the monitor or motherboard. To test the monitor you need another computer, video card, or motherboard with an IGP. To test the motherboard you need another monitor.

If you buy another monitor and the problem still persists then the problem was with the motherboard. If you buy a motherboard and the problem still persists then the problem was with the monitor.

The least expensive path would be to get an old CRT monitor from someone, or buy one from a refurb shop. It would also require less labor because you don't need to remove anything or change any of the parts. This is why I recommended buying another monitor and plugging it in.

Take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom