Failed Windows install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used this and i can see all of the files on the windows instalation that i overwrote, however i dont need these files (old windows, program files, etc...) On the tree, below the folders that i wanted to overwrite are folers named [00AA424], [00BB343], etc...
In these folders are some of the files that were on the partition with everything i wanted and windows wanst supposed to touch. Inside these folders are files that were in folders while many of the files i wanted to save were not in folders, or rather in about 5 Main folders which had a few sub folders and i think thoes are what im seeing. This is with the NTFS version and now im trying the FAT Version. Any other suggestions would help me beyond belief and i thank everyone who has tried to and is helping me now.

Just to reiterate, the files that i am trying to recover were on a NTFS partition that windows 2k install messed up when installing on an adjacent NTFS partition on the same drive. After the failed install there were 4 partitions, one of which is accessable in windows 2000

UPDATE: FAT returned no valid partitons for obvious reasons. Sounds like the partitions are giving me trouble, mabey a linux or dos program could help?

Could any of these applications help? http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz/appnotes.html Remember, i dont want to boot from the partition that has my data, nor is there a hdd installed, i just need to access the files so i can back them up.

Thanks again everyone

UPDATE: I tried again with GetDataBack and ALOT more, possibly all of my files are there, however, they have a line through them and according to the legend, this means that they are deleted. I tried a few mp3s and one played for a few secs, one was just noise, and a bunch didnt work. And only a few pics opened, and thoes that did were all jumbled.

omg. Ok i took a break from typing and checked the prog and it returned 2 partitions both as reccomended (last time only 1 was reccomended and the other i had to see using the view all button) and i think they were pretty much the same exacept for which sector it started at and i picked the other one and it returns pretty much the same file tree except on the very bottom there is a folder called "Lost Files" and many of my files are there with random names of numbers and letters and they are not "deleted" so once i get this program registed i think i may be able to recover most if not all of my data so i am eternally greatful to everyone who has helped me, however, my problem is not completly solved. Can i recover thoes "deleted" files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom