Failed overclocking, now wont go to BIOS or boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudes

Beta member
So the other day i decide to play around witht he BIOS on my P5NSLI, and changed a couple settings. One was to change the northbridge to southbridge frequency or something from 3x to 4x? I think... Another was using Asus's AI overclocking feature, and i set it to a 5% overclock. When i first rebooted it looked like it was working fine. but then it locked up about 5 seconds into the memory test and hasnt worked since. I didnt smell anything burning, and i checked my processor for burn marks and nothing was there. I've tried to clear the CMOS multiple times. The most success i have had soo far was holding down delete and it actually saying it was loading the BIOS, but only to find it was frozen shortly after. During all of this I moved the MB and stuff onto my desk, hooked it all up and now it doesnt even show the boot screen. (The one with the pic that said AI something something...) I've tried 2 sepereate monitors and neither seem to be working with either HDMI or VGA plugin on either graphics cards. I did however notice that the Northbridge was getting hot when i put the back of my hand to it. So i rigged up a house fan to try and help keep things cool.

Any help is appreciated.

Asus P5NSLI motherboard
Stock cooling on Processor, n/s bridges.
2gb Kingston pc5300 667Mhz Ram. (2x 1g)
Dual PCI-E EVga 7600GT graphics cards
Cant remember the processors part number, but it's a Pentium D 2.8Ghz w/ 2mb cache.
Running on a 19" and a 22" BenQ flat panels.

Try removing the battery and disconnecting the mobo psu cables and letting it chill out.

I had a similar problem with my p5b deluxe and just had to disconnect everything and wait overnight.

Quite annoying, I really miss my DFI lanparty ultra-d....

I've tried taking out the battery and unplugging for a good hour and still nothing worked. Not sure if leaving it overnight would help anymore. >.<

I've tried taking out the battery and unplugging for a good hour and still nothing worked. Not sure if leaving it overnight would help anymore. >.<

Well thats what happened to me....it wouldn't work after a few hours so I just unplugged everything and gave up...then the next day was about to file a RMA but decided to try it 1 last time first, and it worked!

This is my first experience with an Asus board and TBH I'm not too thrilled. It seems very touchy...my DFI could handle anything....I just had to reset the CMOs and it would boot back up no problem.

Ok, so to make sure it was indeed the motherboard messing things up, I moved my CPU, vid card and mem to my old motherboard and hooked it all up. it ran fine... kinda. Now, for some reason unkown to me. The processors temp keeps rising. From the readings on AI Booster, the first time i booted it up, it went to 60~ degrees C, then it crashed. Second time after i let it cool down for a couple mins with my fan blowing on it, it went to 80 Degrees C, I then immedietly shut it down, and now have my fan blowing on it trying to keep cool it. I've phoned up the place where i bought the motherboard from, and i'm going to bring it back and get it replaced if I can. Any idea on why the processor would be getting soo hot now? I was thinking it may be due to moving the fan from one motherboard to the other and taking it off and such with not replacing the thermal compound each time. But i'm just not too sure. =\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom