Failed Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhooper

Beta member
I have always bought my comps from Dell. I've always been a gamer and was wanting to get a new box. Looked up all the costs and found that itd be way less expensive to buy it all and put together myself.

Problem: In mid game (some times 5 mins into game some times 2 hours into game) Without warning goes to blues screen and all i cant really catch is something aboutm "Hardware" and that its shutting down to prevent further problems. If i leave the comp on all day it has no problem..... its only when im playing games.

I figured it 1 of 3 things... power supply not strong enough, over heating, or just shouldnt have bought a vid card from ZOTAC. But i dont know!!!!!

Specs for this comp:
Vid Card: GeForce 9600 GT (512mb)
Memory: Kingston PC 6400 (1g x2)
Processor: Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D
Power Supply: Cool Power 500 by Eagle tech inc.

SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO HELP... LOT OF MONEY TO SPEND ON A COMP AND NOT GET TO ENJOY IT!

Re: Failed 1st attempted build! PLZ HELP!!!

What were your temps? If they were below 65C for the CPU, ur fine.

next step, download memtest and check the RAM

third, zotac is a good brand, they have lifetime warranties. All GPU's are made by NVIDIA anyway, the AIB's just offer warranties

did you overclock your cpu? If so you might not be stable.

also make sure you have the latest drivers

is your virus protection up to date?

I have never heard of your psu, it is possible that you are getting power sag, but when that happens the system tends to just shutdown entirely.

havent over clocked. i dont know what my temps are. how do i check?

Core temp says:
Tj. Max: 100c
Core #0: 41c
Core #1: 33C

and if those are all good where do we go from there?

Your temps are good although there shouldn't be that much of a temp difference for the cores. That may mean something.

Try reseating your heatsink (re-apply thermal paste when you reseat it though...clean the old off with isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters).

Also, do this:

XP: click on Start > right click 'My Computer' > go to Properties > click Advanced > Click Settings under 'Startup and Recovery' > uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart" > Click OK to all dialogs.
Vista: Click on Start > right click 'Computer' > go to Properties > click on 'Advanced system settings' on the left-side panel > click Continue to the UAC prompt > Click Settings under 'Startup and Recovery' > uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart" > Click OK to all dialogs.

Then, next time you get the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), give us the following info:

The words in all caps at the top (for example: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), and the STOP code at the bottom of the screen, formatted as such: 0x00000## (where ## is an alphanumerical combination).

Ok finally got memtest ran. I used the one from MemTest for Windows Download Page

It kept coming up wit errors "Copying between 4d5147b and 4d51407 did not result in accurate copy."

So if the memory is the problem does any have sugestions as to the best ram for the price?

ALSO THANK YOU everyone for taking the time to post and leave replies!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom