Extremly Important Dell Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrench

Beta member
Okay, so here is the deal. I have this 2002 Dell Dimension 8200, bios A01... 2.5ghz, 40gig harddrive... the problem is it doens't load. It frezes either before the bios load, or when it says to start the bios setup, which it won't go into to. Thats about it. Anyone encounter this before?

why is this so important? I just bought some new custom stuff for my custom built comp, and my mom is blaming me for the comp being fried and I can't have the stuff till I fix the comp.

could be caused by a number of things. strip down to the bare basics neccesary for boot and see if it works. if it does add parts back slowly (obviously turning the computer off each time :p) until its stops functioning again and you will have your culprit. it could be that an ide drive is malfunctioning, not connected properly or incorrectly jumpered as ide drives can often cause errors like this

sorry, I forgot to mention. With just my motherboard, keyboard, and power connected, nothing works still. It still freezes at the Dell press f2 to go into setup screen. Or it still goes passed that but freezes at the "Need to access setup to change time" thing. I paraphrased...

oh wow. OKay than, without a bios, how do I install a new one? I've never done anything like this before. Or, if there is already a tutorial, where is a link to it?

you would NOT get the opportunity if the bios was missing to enter and setup the bios. Usually something like this happens when hardware changes occure. However, like stated twice above, flashing the bios may do it. That, or you could first try to clear NVRam via jumper and see if that does it. Just set the jumper to clear or reset nvram/bios turn it on. It will usually either say bios cleared by jumper, or prompt you to go into setup (may also beep a few times) after this power the system off and set the bios jumper to normal operation. Then enter the bios, reset it up and save and restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom