Extremely odd problem*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregz

Baseband Member
Hi guys

I've been hopelessly trying to fix a problem in my moms computer for days without any luck. I hope you could have some ideas of what's causing it. I consider myself pretty experienced with computer problems and usually get them fixed, but this problem is something I've never seen before.

I Installed windows7 on my moms comp, and after a few minutes the screen goes wavy, picture disappears and all I can see are blue lines across the screen. Strange this is that if I'm eg. listening to music, the sound still continues to play as if nothing has happened, so comp is "working" but no picture.
Okay because I self assembled the computer from old parts, I thought that some of them could be broken.
So first I switched the monitor with my tft - no luck
I changed the graphics card - nope
I bought her a new hard disk and installed a new windows 7 - nope
changed the IDE cord - didn't work.
Would be a lot easier if I would see a blue screen or the comp would just restart, but no.
I'm really thinking that it might be a software issue since I had some problems installing sound drivers but finally got them to work.
Since it's a 939 mb windows7 doesn't fully support it yet.
While I was typing this I came to think that it might be w7 thats causing the problem, haven't tried windows vista /xp yet but that might be my next try.
All help is appreciated.

specs:
amd athlon 3700+
Nvidia 7950GT
asrock dualsata 939 mobo
2 gigs mem
maxtor hard drive

Yeah, try Vista next.

I assume you checked all the connections, GPU pins in, 4-pin, etc.

Could possibly be your PSU as well. It can support everything but your gfx card. Is onboard video a solution as well? Just to test.

I installed windows xp and the computer works flawelessly.

I guess Windows 7 isn't ready to support older computer yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom