Extremely Low CPU temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzyzx

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,

I have recently upgraded my computer to a Pentium D 920 with ECS P4M800PRO-M (1.0A). Then I used Everest to analyze the computer set up.

First thing I noticed was that the CPU temperature is missing, instead, I get a value called Aux and that shows around 18 degree Celsius.

I went into the BIOS to take a look at the CPU temp, and indeed, it varies from 16 to 19 degree Celsius.

So I tried to overclock it to see if that setting changes, increased the default 2.8 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz. The temperature shows almost no variations.

Finally, I should mention that I use the stock heatsink/fan and I don't live in the Northpole. There is no way my CPU can run at 20 degrees when my room ambient is around 27.

With that in mind, there's a few questions I would like to ask.

1) I don't know much about the sensors, but would the mobo have anything to do with false readings of temperature?

2) How often does sensors failed? I built many systems before, and never encounter any with a failed sensor.

3) Where is that sensor located? on the CPU itself, or on the heatsink? If it's on the heatsink, maybe something prevents heat from transfering between the cpu and the sink = a fried chip very soon.

Thank you very much and please, if you know something (even if it's not entirely relevant) give me a heads up. I will appreciate all remarks.

i never looked it up.. but the sensor would either be on the CPU chip itself near the core, or on the motherboard in the center of the socket(old sockets ex.- socket A or 478, doest relate to you).

The accuracy of the sensor or the ability of the Bios to properly read the sensor is not accurate probably more offten then people think.
---------------------

Use a thermometer ( like one of those you can buy for cooking, has a long sharp end to stick into meat or turkey or whatnot to read the tempature when its cooking)

just stick one of those inbetween the fins on the CPU's HSF and leave it touching the center while its running, and then factor in a few Degrees C or so thats lost between CPU/HSF/thermometer and you can pritty much guess-timate if your onboard sensor is reading out correctly.

However in your case, its already safe to say the onboard sensor is not reading temp correctly. (its impossible for your Core temp to be lower then Ambient)

And no just because your board doesnt get a proper temp reading, doesnt mean anything related to signes of probably Hardware failure or whatnot... it only means your board cant get a proper temp reading.

i dont think the diode temp would change much in overclocking unless you uppsed to voltage?

^^^^ true but it will change slightly and in this case it is clear that something is not right. i would expect one of those things to idle at about what my processor maxes at :amazed:. personally i would return the motherboard as faulty unless it lists issues with temp readings as a known issue either on the site or in the manual

thanks for all the replies, I'll probably return the motherboard as a last resort. The store is quite a long drive away (1 -2 hours depend on traffic). So I want to see if there's anything I can do to fix it before driving.

I noticed an entry in the BIOS to turn on Thermal Monitor (TM1). I thought that might be it, but apparently, it's not. Can anyone tell me exactly what does TM1 do? The manual didn't say much about it.

thanks

If your cpu operates properly... it realy doesnt matter if its reading onboard temp readout properly.

besides, you dont know if its the board reading it improperly, or if its the CPU's temp sensor at fault.

and like jeremy said, might as well try updating the bios first.

It is the board!!

I've been seeing mines jump from 30 degrees to 75 degree with three different temp readers (mbm5 and spedfan - very reliable). It reads as low as 28 degrees in the cmos though.

HOWEVER, do not flash this board's bios - the 03/07/2006 bios will render it unable to access any drive afterwards - it just freezes at a black screen after completing post. I had to get a replacement board from Fry's the next day (and I had just built the pc)!!!

It seems that my temperature readings have stabilized now. My dualcore is idling around 28C degrees and the maximum that I've seen it at with a 100% load on both cores is 52C degree and that is with the stock HSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom